+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian midwives in Manitoba for an american citizen? need answers.

kianyaleszkovics

Aug 31, 2012
I am an American citizen and happily married while in the process of filing my papers for permanent residency i found out recently that i am pregnant 6 weeks and 5 days. I have no medical being that im not a resident of manitoba yet. i just want to know if going with a Midwife and giving a home birth will be better and does anyone know the cost and have any experience. thanx :)

Baywriter

Sep 2, 2012
I'm in Ontario, so I imagine it's not the same, but I'll tell you my experience anyway. I'm currently 5 months pregnant and an American Citizen. Happily married as well, and in the process of getting everything together to apply for permanent residency. I've been seeing a midwife here, and they've told me it's free of charge because of the fact that I'm going to be applying for residency. I still have to pay for bloodwork and ultrasounds and the hospital stay (I can't do a home birth because I'm a wuss, haha, but if I did it would be free of charge as well). We had to call five million places before we found our midwife. The group we're using -- from what I understand -- is actually specifically for people in tough situations like ours. My advice would definitely be to just do a lot of research about various midwives in your area and call them and explain your situation. It took us about a month and a half to find a place that would work with us, so just call as many people as you can. Good luck! Congrats! Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy. :)