+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Landing/PR Card Question

ad2345

Jan 18, 2012
Hi Guys,

First time poster here. Have a little bit of a unique situation I find myself in and wanted to ask some advice.

I applied for my CEC PR in Oct 2011 (worked in Calgary for 2.5 years previously). I received my medical request in Nov 2011 and received my passport request on Jan 2012. I moved to India in Oct 2011 and am currently working here. I am now planning on flying to Buffalo to get my passport stamped with my visa and then land in Canada.

Here is my plan :

1) Fly to Buffalo and get passport stamped and receive landing documents.

2) Fly to Toronto immediately and land.

3) Provide friends Calgary address to receive PR card (Can I even do this ???).

4) Apply for SIN card in Service Canada center in Toronto and receive temporary number. Provide friends Calgary address to receive physical card.

5) Leave Canada and return to India

6) Apply for Temporary Resident Card to renter Canada when I am ready to return full-time.

Few concerns I have :

1) All my funds are tied up in India. Do I need a letter from all my banks regarding my financial capacity to move to Canada ?

2) If the immigration office does not accept my friends address for PR card, can I then fax in my address the next day using a change of address form ?

3) My attorney has advised me that all I need is a valid SIN number to apply for and qualify for jobs in Canada when I indeed want to move back full-time. Is this true ?

Thanks for your help.

jason111

Star Member
Sep 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-07-2011
AOR Received.
15-10-2011
Med's Request
15-10-2011
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
Passport Req..
19-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-01-2012
LANDED..........
03-01-2012
ad2345 said:
Hi Guys,

First time poster here. Have a little bit of a unique situation I find myself in and wanted to ask some advice.

I applied for my CEC PR in Oct 2011 (worked in Calgary for 2.5 years previously). I received my medical request in Nov 2011 and received my passport request on Jan 2012. I moved to India in Oct 2011 and am currently working here. I am now planning on flying to Buffalo to get my passport stamped with my visa and then land in Canada.

Here is my plan :

1) Fly to Buffalo and get passport stamped and receive landing documents.

2) Fly to Toronto immediately and land.

3) Provide friends Calgary address to receive PR card (Can I even do this ???).

4) Apply for SIN card in Service Canada center in Toronto and receive temporary number. Provide friends Calgary address to receive physical card.

5) Leave Canada and return to India

6) Apply for Temporary Resident Card to renter Canada when I am ready to return full-time.

Few concerns I have :

1) All my funds are tied up in India. Do I need a letter from all my banks regarding my financial capacity to move to Canada ?

It is better possess a bank saving statement with at least $10,000CAD just in case officer ask for financial proof.

2) If the immigration office does not accept my friends address for PR card, can I then fax in my address the next day using a change of address form ?

They will accept any address in Canada for sure as long as you think it can reach you.

3) My attorney has advised me that all I need is a valid SIN number to apply for and qualify for jobs in Canada when I indeed want to move back full-time. Is this true ?

Yes, you can work here legally forever with your new SIN. It will be your permanent one. Keep it in safe place.

Thanks for your help.

shamol82

Jan 11, 2012
Hi ...I was thinking that I will might have a similar situation..I was wondering if I receive Passport request while staying in my home country, Can I send the passport by mail to buffalo visa office and include a prepaid envelope and return address to send the passport to me after stamping the visa and land in Canada later on.

If I have Valid PGWP and VISA at the time of passport requested...Can I fly to Canada and then send my passport to buffalo or anywhere in Canada for stamping (if applicable)?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ad2345 said:

Steps 1-5 are fine, but if you get your PR card, you do not need to do #6 :)

Few concerns I have :

Strictly speaking, no - CEC does not require proof of funds. Given that you have left Canada and are not currently employed, however, it might be a good idea to have some evidence of settlement funds; and if you get a job offer before you return, you should have that letter on hand as well.

You can apply before you receive the SIN. It's just that you should have the SIN number when you start working.

As for what you need to qualify for jobs, that depends a lot on your occupation (although your attorney probably knows what that is and is correct). Some occupations require licensing before you can work...

sapgms

Nov 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-10-2011
File Transfer...
22-02-2012
Med's Request
03-10-2011
Med's Done....
02-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2012
LANDED..........
15-05-2012
I have a question, have you informed CIC about you status change (when you moved to India)?