+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Insurance for US car

panga005

Aug 7, 2017
I am in the process of importing my car from usa to Canada.

I currently have US drivers license.

Can i get a Canadian insurance with a US drivers license and US number plates for the initial days.
I do plan to convert both the number plates and drivers license to Canadian but it would take some days

Regards
Ashutosh

awahidi

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Usa
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
File Transfer...
06-06-2017
I really have the same question I hope someone helps

Miley11

Star Member
Mar 12, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
10-05-17
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
For how long can one use a US plate car in Canada?

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
I had Canadian insurance on my US car. In order to get decent rates, I provided a driver's abstract (from DMV in California) with my driving record in US as well as reports from my insurance companies with claims history as well. Once I received my OWP while waiting for PR, I applied for a Canadian license.

frostbite47

Jun 20, 2021
I had Canadian insurance on my US car. In order to get decent rates, I provided a driver's abstract (from DMV in California) with my driving record in US as well as reports from my insurance companies with claims history as well. Once I received my OWP while waiting for PR, I applied for a Canadian license.
This sounds like just what I was looking for! What company were you able to find that was willing to insure a US registered car? Was the insurance contingent on you heading for PR? I'm going to be a TR for two years and was hoping to avoid the whole switcharoo to Canadian license/registration/inspection and back. Do you mind if I ask what province this was in? Thanks!

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
This sounds like just what I was looking for! What company were you able to find that was willing to insure a US registered car? Was the insurance contingent on you heading for PR? I'm going to be a TR for two years and was hoping to avoid the whole switcharoo to Canadian license/registration/inspection and back. Do you mind if I ask what province this was in? Thanks!
It was Alberta province. I went through a broker. Wawanesa was who I went with but multiple companies quoted me. Try a broker, as they don't charge for their services (they are paid commission by insurance companies).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Looks like this was only possible while they were a visitor.