+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Express Class - help.

AoifeB123

Jan 24, 2018
Hi Everyone, I am hoping you guys can help me.

My fiance and I are both Irish and have been in Toronto since Jan 2017 on the IEC. We both want to stay in Toronto and think that CEC is the best option. Can you tell me roughly how long it takes to get an answer and is there a specific time to apply before the IEC expires? We are travelling to Ireland in March and again in June of 2018 to get married. Will marriage change what we have to apply for? I read that with the application you need to send your passport, is it the actual passport not a copy? Can we start doing the English tests etc now before we have started the online profile or does everything have to be dated from after the profile is created? We are totally lost so any help would be great. Thank you.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone, I am hoping you guys can help me.

My fiance and I are both Irish and have been in Toronto since Jan 2017 on the IEC. We both want to stay in Toronto and think that CEC is the best option. Can you tell me roughly how long it takes to get an answer and is there a specific time to apply before the IEC expires? We are travelling to Ireland in March and again in June of 2018 to get married. Will marriage change what we have to apply for? I read that with the application you need to send your passport, is it the actual passport not a copy? Can we start doing the English tests etc now before we have started the online profile or does everything have to be dated from after the profile is created? We are totally lost so any help would be great. Thank you.
1 - How long it will take depends first on how competitive your CRS score is. That is, you need a good CRS in order to be invited to apply in the first place. Once you are invited and submit your documents then the wait is about 6 months. As long as your work permit is still valid you can extend it (that is, you can get a bridge open work permit) assuming you have been invited AND you have submitted your application.

2 - As of now if you were to apply together the only way of doing so would be if you qualify as common law. Your marriage does not affect the program (CEC) for which you'll be applying for.

3 - Once your application is approved whether you have to submit your passport or not is dependent as to whether you are from a visa-exempt country or not. As I am from a visa exempt country I was only required to submit photocopies of my passport to my visa office.

4 - Yes, you can start by doing the IETLS (General NOT the Academic one) or CELPIP (English test) AND if you did not study in Canada you should also get your educational credentials assessed.

Go to the Express Entry section of the forum and read the sticky threads as they contain basic information and step by step for those who are trying to apply for PR via Express Entry.