+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Experienced Class vs Skilled Worker

ds_rnk

Nov 6, 2012
Hi Seniors,

I am a Full-Time Web Developer in Toronto, planning to apply for PR in Ontario. I was a bit confused if I should apply under Skilled Worker or Canadian Experienced Class. I would appreciate if someone could help me with the same.
Also, someone told me that Ontario only processes 1000 application a year, is it true?
Following are my details:

• I have a permanent job (web developer)
  • I have 1+ year of experience in the same company (currently working)
  • I have 3 yrs of work permit expiring in 2014
  • I have 2 yrs of Post-Secondary Canadian Education + Bachelor's of Engineering degree from India

ds_rnk

Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. :D

Two more question. Do I need any other letters from the employer apart from the Permanent Job Letter? Is my Employer suppose to be taking any steps in my application, e.g Getting a LMO? Sorry for the lame question. I just started getting involved with the process and at first it looks a bit complicated and confusing. :-[

noidea4id

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For CEC, your employer just need to provide a reference letter. Make sure that this letter clearly details your duties, hours worked, the dates of your employment (proving you have 24 months of work within the last 36 months).
CIC likes to have a business card of your boss too, though not mandatory.
For CEC I do not think that you need anything else from your boss, whether you are on a Work permit, on a visitor visa or submitting an LMO at the time of application does not matter. The only thing CIC wants is to see that you worked 24 months out of the last 36 months and that the duties that are listed on the reference letter match at least 80% of the duties described in the NOC code you applied with.

ds_rnk

Nov 6, 2012
But 24 out of 36 months you mean?
I come into the category of 1year work experience + 2 years of post secondary Canadian education.

By the way, thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it. :D

noidea4id

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ah ah yes sorry I guess I get distracted by this election show around me :D. Yes if you belong to the post-graduate stream then you just need 12 months.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ds_rnk said:
I come into the category of 1year work experience + 2 years of post secondary Canadian education.
Did you earn a degree or diploma? 2 years of education without the degree/diploma will not qualify.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Then, if you qualify under CEC, it is the better choice because
(a) it's usually faster than FSW, and
(b) once you qualify, you qualify. Under the FSW-Arranged employment stream, you have to maintain a work permit and keep the same job throughout processing - if your job ends or you can't renew your work permit, you lose your eligibility. This doesn't happen with CEC.

As for the Ontario quota of 1000 applicants, that's for yet another program, the Provincial Nominee Program for Ontario (Opportunities Ontario). This is a good choice if you think you will have a problem renewing your work permit...
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/index.htm

And, BTW - you can apply to more than one program.

bahadur30

Mar 29, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - CPP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2013
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
File Transfer...
DID UPFRONT MEDICAL
Med's Request
22-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-06-2013
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
18-12-2013
Hey Jes,

How faster is PNP Program.? I am thinking of applying under CEC and expecting it to be completed by Oct 2013. As my WP is ending on Oct 2013. Do you think I should apply under PNP as well considering its way faster.

I can talk to my employer to help in this regard.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
bahadur30 said:
Hey Jes,

How faster is PNP Program.? I am thinking of applying under CEC and expecting it to be completed by Oct 2013. As my WP is ending on Oct 2013. Do you think I should apply under PNP as well considering its way faster.
In general, the CEC is going to be faster than a PNP application. PNPs are 2-stage applications, first the provincial, then the federal, so it varies greatly by province. Here's the link for processing times for the federal part of the application.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/provincial.asp

Also, not all provinces offer work permits.

It's pretty useless to ask about PNP programs without specifying the province :) And there is a separate forum on this site for PNP applicants...

ds_rnk

Nov 6, 2012
Hey jes_ON,

Thanks a ton, that really helped me understand the difference and decide. By the way, What about the Dependents? Are my parents (staying in India currently) and my sister (studying here) dependents? I would eventually want to sponsor my parents. In the link below it says that

You must list all family members in your application for permanent residence, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not. You must also provide details on family members whose location is unknown (including those missing or presumed dead). If you don’t, you will not be able to sponsor family members at a later date if they are not listed on your application.
h t t p : / / w w w . c i c . g c . c a /english/ information/applications/guides/5609ETOC.asp#dependant

But in the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM0008ENU_2D) form, the definition on dependents is as follows:

You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Read the CEC guide - your parents and sisters/brothers are not dependants. Only a spouse or common-law partner and children are considered dependants.

Right now sponsorship of parents and grandparents has been place on hold - you can however apply for a supervisa for them.