+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Experience Class (Uncertainties)

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Hello all,

I have done some research but I am quite uncertain with regards to the CEC program.

1. First of all, in order to be succeed in the CEC program, a person must have 2 years of skilled work experience in Canada. How long is the CEC program valid for until a person must return to their country of origin if they are unable to fulfill those duties? Certainly it must be MUCH longer than two years (e.g. 4 years) for an applicant to have a decent chance of finding relevant work experience.

2. Skilled work?? Does this refer to the reqirement of the NOC 38 such as the 'skilled working visa'. If that is the case, how would a CEC be advantageous over a S.W.V?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simonvee said:
Hello all,

I have done some research but I am quite uncertain with regards to the CEC program.

1. First of all, in order to be succeed in the CEC program, a person must have 2 years of skilled work experience in Canada. How long is the CEC program valid for until a person must return to their country of origin if they are unable to fulfill those duties? Certainly it must be MUCH longer than two years (e.g. 4 years) for an applicant to have a decent chance of finding relevant work experience.

2. Skilled work?? Does this refer to the reqirement of the NOC 38 such as the 'skilled working visa'. If that is the case, how would a CEC be advantageous over a S.W.V?
1. What do you mean? If Mario the plumber goes to Canada on a work permit and works for 2 years, he qualifies to apply. He could also work for 3 or 4 years on extended work permits and then apply. He could also work just for the 2 years, go home, think about it and then apply as long as it's within a year of leaving Canada.

2. The NOC is not just the 38 most wanted. The NOC classifies pretty much any job possible into NOC codes. If the NOC code starts with zero, it's a management position and would be classified as skill type 0 = skilled work. If the NOC code doesn't start with zero but the 2nd digit is 1, then it would be classified as a skill level A position = skilled work. If the NOC code doesn't start with zero but the 2nd digit is 2 or 3, then it would be classified as a skill level B position = skilled work. A NOC code with no zero at the start and the 2nd digit something other than 1, 2 or 3 is a skill level C or D position = semi- or low skilled work.

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
I'm from Australia and the working holiday visa is only for 2 years. You referred to an 'extended work permit'. How is that acquired?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are on a regular work permit, your and your employer can apply to extend when it's about to expire. Your WHV can not be extended but if you find an employer who wants to keep you, he can apply for a regular work permit for you which means you can only work for this employer. It is better to apply for PR when you can though because there's no guarantee that your work permit will be extended if the employer can not prove that he could not find qualified Canadians to do the job.