+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Experience Class or PNP Under Opportunities Ontario

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Hey Everyone!

I've been gathering a lot of information on both the procedures of Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and Opportunities Ontario - Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). I'm currently in a situation that I can apply under the International Student with a Job Offer Stream or wait till one year and apply under the CEC stream. I've made a spreadsheet showing the comparison of both these procedures. It can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqgxt0uXQETXdFJxa3ZMejV5VGZmd3ZKcDE0bTQxREE&usp=sharing

- It is evident and clear that PNP is very much costly as compared to the CEC stream.

- The only advantage I can see is the processing time. One who applied under PNP can get a PR early as compared to the one who applied under CEC.

- I used the maximum processing time as mentioned on the relevant websites. For example: I have used the whole 90 days for processing the initial application forms under PNP stream.

- The requirements for the PNP stream is also complicated. Many forms have to be submitted through the mutual understandings of the employer as well as employee.

Kindly check the spreadsheet and insert your comments and point out any mistake(s) I made due to misunderstanding and advise which procedure should be followed. I personally think that CEC is a better option. I have a 3 year valid Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) so I'm good with keeping a valid status in Canada.

Also, an important thing is that the nominees allocated (about 1,300) have already been processed for this year of 2013. Now all the applications submitted will be processed starting from January 2014 on the first come first serve basis. I just can't see any clear advantage applying through PNP-Opportunities Ontario Program.

Your valuable comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Thank you ravdawg! I really hope this post will help many in choosing their future paths. Let's wait for some helpful input from the experienced fellows.

Regards,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
you pretty much nailed it. Unless you need the work permit, the CEC application will be easier, cost less, and take less processing time, but you do need to complete that one year of work experience first.

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Sounds good jes_ON! Thanks alot for your input. Yes, I'm pretty much thinking on the same lines. The PNP process is too complicated and costly as compared to CEC stream.

Regards,

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
One more very important calculation I made for the CEC stream! Quoting the statement from CIC website below:

You must have at least 12 months of full-time, or an equal amount in part-time, skilled work experience. Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week.
It was extracted from the below link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

My point is that at least 30 hours per week is considered full-time work. Meaning that when the 1,440 hours are completed {(30 hours)*(4 weeks)*(12 months)}, one can apply under the CEC stream. Almost all of the full-time jobs require 40 hours a week. So after doing simple math, this means that the target of 1,440 hours can be reached in about 9 months if one normally works 40 hours a week.

So I conclude that one can apply after 9 months of doing 40 hours a week, and should not wait for 12 months to complete. Please let me know if that seems to be the case.

Thanks,

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Umair,

Unfortunately they only count a maximum of 30hrs/wk. So you cannot do it faster than the 12 months time. It is stated online.

I had initially thought that as well, but it doesn't work like that :p

mady_1982

Star Member
May 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP -Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2013
Doc's Request.
22-08-2013 -RCMP Requested
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
13-05-2013
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
13-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
i have practically seen huge differences in processing times for PNP over CEC , I would say if you have choice go for PNP Under opportunities Ontario

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
ravdawg said:
Hi Umair,

Unfortunately they only count a maximum of 30hrs/wk. So you cannot do it faster than the 12 months time. It is stated online.

I had initially thought that as well, but it doesn't work like that :p
Hi ravdawg,

Thanks for your input. I have the following counter arguments:

- Let's say for the sake of argument that CIC will check the number of months, not the hours. So if a person works 25 or even 29 hours in a week, that particular week won't be counted towards the 12 months period? That seems unfair.

- In my opinion, the basic unit for doing the calculations should be the number of hours. There is also mentioned "equal amount in part-time" at the CIC website. How will this be calculated?

- Also, in the main application form for CEC application, the number of hours is asked pertaining to each job done.

Do you have a confirmation from CIC? I gotta clear this up from them.

Thanks,

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
mady_1982 said:
i have practically seen huge differences in processing times for PNP over CEC , I would say if you have choice go for PNP Under opportunities Ontario
Thank yo very much mady_1982 for sharing your thoughts! So I assume you've been through the process of Opportunities Ontario-PNP stream. I also wanted to proceed towards this but now after checking the facts, I am leaning towards CEC stream. Reasons:

- PNP has confirmed that I got to remain stuck with the same position through which I applied for PNP until the decision is made. That decision can take upto a year.

- The process seems complicated - dealing with the employer at the early going. Also very much costly.

- So let's suppose I apply in November or December this year, my application will not be processed until early 2014 and the max. number of nominees have been filled. So they will first clear this backlog and then process in the first in first out rule.

I don't get how it's gonna be much faster than CEC.

Thanks,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
umairq00 said:
One more very important calculation I made for the CEC stream! Quoting the statement from CIC website below:

It was extracted from the below link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

My point is that at least 30 hours per week is considered full-time work. Meaning that when the 1,440 hours are completed {(30 hours)*(4 weeks)*(12 months)}, one can apply under the CEC stream. Almost all of the full-time jobs require 40 hours a week. So after doing simple math, this means that the target of 1,440 hours can be reached in about 9 months if one normally works 40 hours a week.

So I conclude that one can apply after 9 months of doing 40 hours a week, and should not wait for 12 months to complete. Please let me know if that seems to be the case.
Sorry, that is absolutely false. You must work a minimum of 12 months (52 weeks) of full-time employment (at least 30 hours per week), or the equivalent in part-time employment, which by definition will take longer than 12 months.

If you are working full-time, you don't count hours, just weeks. You only count hours if you work fewer than 30 hours per week.

Unfortunately, people have been refused for applying as little as 2 weeks too soon. Most of us recommend working a little bit longer than 1 year to give yourself a cushion.

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Thank you jes_ON! Yes this makes sense as companies don't offer awkward number of hours per week. Meaning they will either offer 15 hour or less, or 30 hours or more per week or in order to make it a definite full or part-time work.

So it's recommended by yourself and few others that CEC is a better option as compared to PNP. Let's see if anybody else has any thoughts to share.

Thanks,

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Got the confirmation from CIC and by the below answer in the FAQ section:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=664&t=6

It is indeed about number of months of experience and not about number of hours. Thanks again jes_ON for your help. But even a 12 months experience is required for CEC, still it looks a better option than PNP.

mady_1982 said:
umairq00 said:
Thank yo very much mady_1982 for sharing your thoughts! So I assume you've been through the process of Opportunities Ontario-PNP stream. I also wanted to proceed towards this but now after checking the facts, I am leaning towards CEC stream. Reasons:

- PNP has confirmed that I got to remain stuck with the same position through which I applied for PNP until the decision is made. That decision can take upto a year.

- The process seems complicated - dealing with the employer at the early going. Also very much costly.

- So let's suppose I apply in November or December this year, my application will not be processed until early 2014 and the max. number of nominees have been filled. So they will first clear this backlog and then process in the first in first out rule.

I don't get how it's gonna be much faster than CEC.

Thanks,
mady_1982, will appreciate your response on that. Kindly share your experience so that the situation becomes much clearer.

Thanks,