+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian equivalency: Dual bachelor's degree four years) - unexpected huge impact on CRS score

bluesteel

Jul 29, 2021
Hi,

I've applied to Express Entry with Campbell Cohen representing me. Based on the IRCC CRS calculator I was expecting a CRS score of 454 going in, however upon completion of my Express Entry Profile and relevant ECA, I only achieved 422 CRS points for my profile in the Express Entry pool. The issue was found to be my Education Credential Assessment from WES causing the discrepancy.

Regarding my education, I completed a Double Degree at Queensland University of Technology (in Australia): Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) / Bachelor of Information Technology. This is a 5 year coarse; individually Bachelor of Engineering is 4 years, and Bachelor of Information Technology is 3 years.

The result my WES ECA states: Canadian equivalency: Dual bachelor's degree (four years)

Regarding my expected CRS points, the relevant sections and points for this are:
CRS - Human Capital - Level of Education - 119
CRS - Skill Transferability - Education - 50

Meanwhile my actual result for these sections are:
CRS - Human Capital - Level of Education - 112
CRS - Skill Transferability - Education - 25

This resulted in me losing 34 CRS points, as my double degree is essentially treated as a 4 year single degree (providing the same amount of points as a 3 year single degree), which has a significant impact on my overall ranking in the current pool: 454 -> 422.

As an example, my partner has a Bachelor Science (3 years) and a diploma of Graphic Design (1 year), and gets 169 points for these sections.
The ECA from WES for her states: and her WES ECA states: Bachelor's degree (three years) & College-level certificate (one year)

I've already contacted WES about this, however they simply state that their assessment is correct in my instance. WES can't/won't change their assessment to show 2 separate bachelor degrees here, so I am stuck receiving the same number of points as a single bachelor degree holder (as shown above).

I have found a few people on here have had similar issues, some have submitted their Express Entry profile showing 2 separate bachelor degrees, with a letter of explanation, however it seems that only some are successfully accepted, while others get an ITA to only then get rejected later, I obviously don't want this to happen to us (and don't want to misrepresent myself on any application).

I'd love any information from IRCC regarding how to deal with my type of situation. Can I contact IRCC for guidance here? it would be great to have a letter telling me to 'select Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.' for my application (in the event we need to justify this selection to an officer).

Does anyone have any recommendation for how to proceed - given that my goal is to have my bachelor degrees recognised to satisfy the criteria: 'Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years '.

Is it worth applying for an Education Credential Assessment with another organisation?

Let me know if there's any relevant information I've left out above?

I'll update this thread with any new information I receive, in the hopes it can help anyone else who lands in the same situation.

Kind Regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I've applied to Express Entry with Campbell Cohen representing me. Based on the IRCC CRS calculator I was expecting a CRS score of 454 going in, however upon completion of my Express Entry Profile and relevant ECA, I only achieved 422 CRS points for my profile in the Express Entry pool. The issue was found to be my Education Credential Assessment from WES causing the discrepancy.

Regarding my education, I completed a Double Degree at Queensland University of Technology (in Australia): Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) / Bachelor of Information Technology. This is a 5 year coarse; individually Bachelor of Engineering is 4 years, and Bachelor of Information Technology is 3 years.

The result my WES ECA states: Canadian equivalency: Dual bachelor's degree (four years)

Regarding my expected CRS points, the relevant sections and points for this are:

This resulted in me losing 34 CRS points, as my double degree is essentially treated as a 4 year single degree (providing the same amount of points as a 3 year single degree), which has a significant impact on my overall ranking in the current pool: 454 -> 422.

As an example, my partner has a Bachelor Science (3 years) and a diploma of Graphic Design (1 year), and gets 169 points for these sections.
The ECA from WES for her states: and her WES ECA states: Bachelor's degree (three years) & College-level certificate (one year)

I've already contacted WES about this, however they simply state that their assessment is correct in my instance. WES can't/won't change their assessment to show 2 separate bachelor degrees here, so I am stuck receiving the same number of points as a single bachelor degree holder (as shown above).

I have found a few people on here have had similar issues, some have submitted their Express Entry profile showing 2 separate bachelor degrees, with a letter of explanation, however it seems that only some are successfully accepted, while others get an ITA to only then get rejected later, I obviously don't want this to happen to us (and don't want to misrepresent myself on any application).

I'd love any information from IRCC regarding how to deal with my type of situation. Can I contact IRCC for guidance here? it would be great to have a letter telling me to 'select Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.' for my application (in the event we need to justify this selection to an officer).

Does anyone have any recommendation for how to proceed - given that my goal is to have my bachelor degrees recognised to satisfy the criteria: 'Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years '.

Is it worth applying for an Education Credential Assessment with another organisation?

I'll update this thread with any new information I receive, in the hopes it can help anyone else who lands in the same situation.

Kind Regards,
IRCC won't give you guidance or provide any letter. So that option is definitely out.

Your Express Entry profile needs to reflect the ECA results. If you pick a different option, I don't see any possibility of IRCC accepting it. A letter of explanation won't override anything. IRCC will apply the ECA results.

The only option I can think of is to have your education assessed through a different ECA to see if the results are different.

bluesteel

Jul 29, 2021
Last edited:

yang1212

Oct 19, 2021
hi ,dear :

I have the same situation with the dual degree . did you get more information ? i was wonder the score .

berry

Arpit_T

Oct 21, 2020
I know someone who was in the same situation. They mentioned 2 or more degree but they mentioned everything in the LOE explaining the Situation to them and they got the points for "Two or More" Diploma.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know someone who was in the same situation. They mentioned 2 or more degree but they mentioned everything in the LOE explaining the Situation to them and they got the points for "Two or More" Diploma.
ECA needs to show two separate diplomas / degrees, otherwise IRCC won't give you the points once they start processing the application.

Reactions: Arpit_T

Arpit_T

Oct 21, 2020
@scylla - I Do have one question for myself. Please if you can help me with that.

I have done Bachelors, BBA (3 year) & PGDBA (1 Year) from a WES Recognized University. The university have sent the documents to WES and I have received the report for BBA as Canadian Equivalent to 3 year Bachelor Degree but For PGDBA, It says:

Accepted: Statement of Marks (University Issues & Attested)

Not Received: Degree Certificate (Final or Provisional)

When I asked my University, They said for one Year Diploma course, they Only Issue a Statement of Marks but no Degree/Diploma Certificate.

Will that means PGDBA will not be Calculated?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla - I Do have one question for myself. Please if you can help me with that.

I have done Bachelors, BBA (3 year) & PGDBA (1 Year) from a WES Recognized University. The university have sent the documents to WES and I have received the report for BBA as Canadian Equivalent to 3 year Bachelor Degree but For PGDBA, It says:

Accepted: Statement of Marks (University Issues & Attested)

Not Received: Degree Certificate (Final or Provisional)

When I asked my University, They said for one Year Diploma course, they Only Issue a Statement of Marks but no Degree/Diploma Certificate.

Will that means PGDBA will not be Calculated?
What do you mean by "not be calculated"? Are you referring to points under Experss Entry?

Arpit_T

Oct 21, 2020
What do you mean by "not be calculated"? Are you referring to points under Experss Entry?
I am referring to WES. Because as per WES they do not received the Degree/Diploma Certificate for my Post Graduation but they receive only Mark Sheets.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am referring to WES. Because as per WES they do not received the Degree/Diploma Certificate for my Post Graduation but they receive only Mark Sheets.
I don't know what they will do.

Reactions: Arpit_T

chintand

Sep 27, 2022
Hi,
Hi,

Kind Regards,
Hi Mate

Did you get to the bottom of this? My partner has the same issue. She has a double degree from the University of Sydney (Bachelor of Arts , Bachelor of Education) which is done over 5 years. We are pretty concerned on how to present this information for the WES assessment.

Kind Regards,