+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Driver's License

NOLAGal

Mar 30, 2014
Hello All,

I'm new to the Forum and have a question. My family is here in Ontario via an active work permit for my husband. We moved here from the New Orleans area about 2 years ago. We "exchanged" our valid USA driver's licenses when we obtained our Canadian driver's licenses. We just found out we may be relocating back to the States upon a new job opportunity for my husband. I thought I remembered being told when we got our Canadian license that upon moving back to the States, we could get our USA licenses back. They are both still valid for another year in the States. My husband insists that that's not the case and that we FORFEIT our USA licenses and have to get new ones upon moving back to the States. If anyone has encountered this issue or can help, that'd be great! Thanks!

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
When they take you actual licenses they destroy it. You will have to go to the dmv and explain to them what happened and get a new one.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why don't you go and ask? Personally, I think it's unlikely that they have kept your license for you to exchange it again but you can always try asking. If they say no, just get a new one in New Orleans.

I only have experience with AB and in AB once they take your foreign license, you will never see it again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

NOLAGal said:
Hello All,

I'm new to the Forum and have a question. My family is here in Ontario via an active work permit for my husband. We moved here from the New Orleans area about 2 years ago. We "exchanged" our valid USA driver's licenses when we obtained our Canadian driver's licenses. We just found out we may be relocating back to the States upon a new job opportunity for my husband. I thought I remembered being told when we got our Canadian license that upon moving back to the States, we could get our USA licenses back. They are both still valid for another year in the States. My husband insists that that's not the case and that we FORFEIT our USA licenses and have to get new ones upon moving back to the States. If anyone has encountered this issue or can help, that'd be great! Thanks!
1. No, when you return to the US, you go to your local DMV and they will exchange your Canadian license for a new state license.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Leon said:
Why don't you go and ask? Personally, I think it's unlikely that they have kept your license for you to exchange it again but you can always try asking. If they say no, just get a new one in New Orleans.

I only have experience with AB and in AB once they take your foreign license, you will never see it again.
Same experience I had also in AB, they specifically showed me and my friend that they were shredding the old license. Right before taking a picture for the new license. So yes you will probably need to get a new one when you go back.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marsiangal said:
Same experience I had also in AB, they specifically showed me and my friend that they were shredding the old license. Right before taking a picture for the new license. So yes you will probably need to get a new one when you go back.
Some friends of mine were told in AB that their licenses would be mailed back to their home country and they could get them there if they returned. 2 or 3 years later, they returned and when they asked in their home country about getting their old license back, they were told that AB never mails licenses back but sometimes Manitoba does. I inquired in AB on their behalf what would have happened to their licenses and I was not told that they were destroyed, just that the AB government keeps them and they will not be returned. They may however have changed policy now if they are shredding them right away.