+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Drivers Licence

earlsfort

Sep 25, 2009
Hi,

Back in the 1990's I obtained a Canadian driver's licence but when I left Canada it expired. Now, I'm returning to Canada. Do I need to go through the whole process of to get a licence again or can I somehow activate it again?

Thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
earlsfort said:
Hi,

Back in the 1990's I obtained a Canadian driver's licence but when I left Canada it expired. Now, I'm returning to Canada. Do I need to go through the whole process of to get a licence again or can I somehow activate it again?

Thanks
Driver's Licences are provincially administered, so it would depend upon the rules of the province. However, if you are returning to the SAME province and they can find your records in the computer they'll probably be OK and you wont' need to do anything to silly (like go through the graduated licence program...) Best to check the provincial website and see what they need.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

earlsfort said:
Hi,

Thanks
Here is the information for BC. http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/renew-replace/renewing-licence/renewing-dl#renewing

earlsfort

Sep 25, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I will be returning to the same province so will check out Ontario's info website. Thanks again.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
In Ontario they are a bit hard on renewals, but may be more forgiving to returning citizens. I'd call DriveTest or go in to one and ask them questions personally.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
earlsfort said:
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I will be returning to the same province so will check out Ontario's info website. Thanks again.
Hi

Sorry to rain on your parade my friend.
Ontario is the cruelest of them all when it comes to drivers licenses. If you were away for 5 years or less then they might consider it.
I called them in November and it was a NO for me although before I left 20 years ago I was an A! Class with Z endorsement drive in Ontario. Simply put it! I have to go through the whole deal lie getting a learners permit and after a year they will see to it that my licence is upgraded to G class or something similar. In my country I am a holder also of the highest class here but to Ontario that does not matter. That is unless you come from certain 5-7 West European countries...
On the other hand BC will let you pass the actual drivers test without the learners permit right away as long as you can supply them with a licence class certificate through your country's department of transport. In BC also they will give you a 4% discount on your car insurance premiums for each year of safe driving you can prove from your country (just get a Bonus Malus from your insurance broker)
In Ontario insurance companies will not even touch you with a 10 feet pole if you are new there. I am 57 with more than 38 years of safe and claim free professional driving in Canada and Europe and my estimated premiums in Ontario would be nearly 8000 CAD (yes that's EIGHT THOUSAND dollars) per year simply because I will be a new driver in Ontario.
All the above plus the snow made me re think my Canadian destination and re route for BC where not everything is take take take!
I respect the fact that Ontario had had thousands of false insurance claims due to many fake accidents by opportunists but they can have the ability to check on individuals easily due to the fact that we live on the information age and its so easy to verify driving history
Wishing you well!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could look into if you can "move" to one of the 5-7 European countries for a short time before you return to Canada, just long enough to register and exchange your license. Then of course they might punish you for the lack of driving history so you'd really need to get your drivers abstract from the country where you live now less than 3 months before you move, take copies of that license and then see if you can exchange it for an exchangeable license before you move.

I had the same problem before I moved. Within the EU, all EU licenses are equal and exchangeable but when you come to Canada, some are definitely better than others.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Leon said:
You could look into if you can "move" to one of the 5-7 European countries for a short time before you return to Canada, just long enough to register and exchange your license. Then of course they might punish you for the lack of driving history so you'd really need to get your drivers abstract from the country where you live now less than 3 months before you move, take copies of that license and then see if you can exchange it for an exchangeable license before you move.

I had the same problem before I moved. Within the EU, all EU licenses are equal and exchangeable but when you come to Canada, some are definitely better than others.
Hi Leon nice to see your posts

It wasn't always like this in Ontario. Back in the 80's things were a lot easier. When I immigrated in 1980 they very quickly passed me to the actual G licence and not at the 365 (learner's permit was called like so then) and this because even though my old country's licence was not exchanged but they had some provisions for older drivers who could prove their skills. Ontario drivers licencing and insurance companies seem to have become totalitarian states just because they were too naive for many many years when they were getting ripped off by people who learned to abuse the system.(falls claims, moneys under the table to bribe corrupted officials to get a licence etc. )
I do hope and wish one day for Ontario government to wake up and look at its people in a more trusting way.
To become one more time Ontario the Good.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also happen to think that the GDL system is a bit ridiculous. Yes, maybe it works for teenagers who can practice driving with their parents for a year before they are allowed on their own but how is it going to make an adult a better driver having to wait a year before they can take the basic road test? Especially someone who is an immigrant, who comes to Canada and might not have any friends or family who can help him with his drivers training. For that person, it's just mindless waiting. Sure he can take a course and cut it down to 8 months but still, it's just waiting. It's not like they're learning anything during that waiting period if they aren't able to practice.

However, if you have a foreign license, even if it is not directly exchangeable, they do give you credit for your driving experience. You'd still have to take the written test and road test but you wouldn't have to wait a year on a learners permit.

You have probably been looking at this page: http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/renew-expired-drivers-licence but in your case, it's not like you have been off the road for 10+ years. You have been driving. If you arrive with a drivers abstract and your foreign license and ask that they handle you as a foreign driver, you might get to take your tests right away and skip the waiting periods, see http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence