+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Dad, visiting mother have a baby in Canada.

Feb 19, 2016
I know if we are married things will be simpler and we can get AHC for the mother and baby through me.

My question is if we do not marry first and the baby is to be born here can we still get AHC coverage? Is the baby Canadian?

What pitfalls do I need to watch for in either case?

Thanks all,

Rich

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
h2hjastermereel said:
I know if we are married things will be simpler and we can get AHC for the mother and baby through me.

My question is if we do not marry first and the baby is to be born here can we still get AHC coverage? Is the baby Canadian?

Thanks all,

Rich
Concerning citizenship of the baby, As far as I know, if baby is born here to Canadian parent (there is no need for marriage certificate as you will be listed in baby's birth certificate as father ) he/she will be Canadian. Not sure about Health coverage.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
h2hjastermereel said:

Thanks all,

Rich
The baby will be Canadian if born in Canada because Canada does grant nationality based on jus soli even if none of the parents are Canadian, as long as the parents aren't foreign diplomatic staff (which doesn't seem to be the case). Your marital status is irrelevant for the child's citizenship.

The baby will be covered by AHC once it is born under your coverage, but pregnancy and birth expenses aren't covered unless the mother is already covered by AHC (which doesn't seem to be the case). The mother of the child will not be covered by AHC simply by giving birth in Canada.