Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I have read, an American can cross into Canada saying they intend to stay for 2 weeks
and, if they are not given a Visitor Record with a date on it, they can stay for up to 6 months.
(Correct me if i'm wrong here)

My question is, does it work like this for a Canadian visiting the States too?
Can my fiance state that he is visiting me for 2 weeks and then stay for 6 months?

Thank you :)

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Basically, yes. However, the same applies for having proof of ties to the home country. I've never really been 'harassed' by the Canadian IOs, but my husband always gets the second and third degree, so your guy should make sure he is prepared. He should have a return ticket if he is taking a bus or flying. If he has a job, he should bring a pay stub or some kind of proof. He should be able to prove that he has funds in the bank. He should also bring proof that he has a residence in Canada (a utility bill, a lease, etc) or anything else that he has to get back to Canada to take care of.. schooling, family ties, etc.

Also, have him say he's visiting a friend or a girlfriend.. not fiancee. It just saves a lot of trouble.. my husband got a lot less mouthing off from the IOs when he said 'friend' instead of 'fiancee'.