+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Criminal Rehabilitation 2021

Dec 1, 2021
Has anyone been approved with 2 DUIs for rehabiliatation? Any idea if they will want to see more than 5 years of time since the sentense ended or if all they will care about is that the mandatory minimum 5 years expired?

I'm just curious to see what others experiences are and any insight would be appreciated. I'm hoping that this thread can help other dumbies in the future, especially after Canada changed their laws in 2018 to make Duis after December 2018 serious criminality (max punishment 10 years or more).

Coonatal

Jan 28, 2022
Hi there. My husband was charged with trafficking drugs in the 90s. So obviously a more serious crime than a DUI but both fall under serious criminality now. The first time he applied for criminal rehab in 2015 his application was denied. They said he did not do a well enough job explaining why the crimes were committed or how he has been rehabilitated. I’m actually a Canadian citizen so after we got married I started a new application for him and it was approved. The biggest difference being I included pages and pages of examples in how he was rehabilitated. Graduated from college after school he charges, went to NA meetings, Reference letters from colleagues, how he’s been employed from same company for over 18 years, how he’s a mentor to newer employees. So basically I’m not sure time necessarily means a ton but evidence of actively rehabilitating yourself and a thorough explanation of why the crimes happened is crucial.

Reactions: Bornlucky

Sidm786

Dec 30, 2020
Hi there. My husband was charged with trafficking drugs in the 90s. So obviously a more serious crime than a DUI but both fall under serious criminality now. The first time he applied for criminal rehab in 2015 his application was denied. They said he did not do a well enough job explaining why the crimes were committed or how he has been rehabilitated. I’m actually a Canadian citizen so after we got married I started a new application for him and it was approved. The biggest difference being I included pages and pages of examples in how he was rehabilitated. Graduated from college after school he charges, went to NA meetings, Reference letters from colleagues, how he’s been employed from same company for over 18 years, how he’s a mentor to newer employees. So basically I’m not sure time necessarily means a ton but evidence of actively rehabilitating yourself and a thorough explanation of why the crimes happened is crucial.

How do you think Canada treats a foreign spent conviction? Will it be treated in the same way UK's spent convictions are?