+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Consulate NYC-be careful!

paryxyt

Jan 25, 2013
The officers at this consulate are mind-numbingly dumb, irresponsible and inefficient.

My wife and I live in the US (Indian passports), we applied for a visitor visa, which was subsequently denied.

The reason? The officers receiving our application explicitly told us they did not need our supporting documents, only our main application forms. We gave exactly the information that they asked for.

Two weeks later they rejected our application citing a lack of sufficient evidence in our application---DUHH! When my wife went to the consulate in person to try to resolve this, they refused to accommodate in any way (we suggested that we will reapply, but could they at least expedite the re-processing. They refused to do so.)

BTW, it seems impossible to get in touch with them in any way...no phone numbers, email addresses, etc. They are closed on Tuesday and Thursday (WTF?), and nobody at the office has a clue as to what is going on.

If you read this forum, they have a history of losing passports. Once they do, they promptly disclaim all responsibility for the same, all you get is an email informing you that they were "unable to locate" your passport. At least we did not have to undergo this torture!

If you are applying for a visa here, please be very careful. The instructions regarding the application process can be confusing and unclear, but you are expected to submit an impeccable application regardless.

Jun 6, 2013
My experience is similar. They emailed to me a Word document about what items needed to be submitted with my application. Two weeks after submitting documentation on the checklist they provided to me, my packet was returned because it was missing 4 documents! This office has been the epitome of incompetence.