+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizenship vs USA citizenship - Please help

AT07

Oct 4, 2014
Hi,

Can someone please let me know the differences or advantages of Canadian Citizenship vs USA citizenship.
I know both citizenships are nice.
But trying to understand the advantages or differences. Please help. Thanks.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
AT07 said:
Hi,

Can someone please let me know the differences or advantages of Canadian Citizenship vs USA citizenship.
I know both citizenships are nice.
But trying to understand the advantages or differences. Please help. Thanks.
It probably depends on where one comes from. As mentioned before, I have an European and down under passport. As I live in Canada, I will eventually get my Canadian passport of which I will be proud of. Personally, if you give me the American citizenship for free I would decline. But this has more to do with politics than anything else..

So I really do not know the advantage of having a US passport because I see none.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Agreed, these citizenships aren't different models of the same car -- you get the one where you live and plan to stay. Personally, I prefer Canadian citizenship, but that's not much use if I'm working in California.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The US citizenship allows you to work and live in the USA and the Canadian citizenship allows you to work and live in Canada. Those are the main differences so it depends on where you want to live.

If you have the chance to get both, there are no rules against that in either country. Many people have dual US/Canadian.

The US has one obligation that Canada doesn't have and that is that if you are a US citizen, you must file taxes on your world income, even if you do not live in the US. In Canada, you would declare yourself a non-resident after you move to another country and after that, you are no longer obligated to file taxes in Canada.

However, many countries have tax treaties with the US so even if you have to file, you may not have to pay much in the US.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Leon said:
The US has one obligation that Canada doesn't have and that is that if you are a US citizen, you must file taxes on your world income, even if you do not live in the US. In Canada, you would declare yourself a non-resident after you move to another country and after that, you are no longer obligated to file taxes in Canada.
Sorry, simply not true.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrbeachman said:
Sorry, simply not true.
According to the IRS it is, see http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
I am talking about Canada.

You can't simply declare yourself a non-resident. It is not up to you.

I have left Canada in 2013 and will be out for at least 10 years. I am still paying income taxes and probably will as long as I make money.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrbeachman said:
I am talking about Canada.

You can't simply declare yourself a non-resident. It is not up to you.

I have left Canada in 2013 and will be out for at least 10 years. I am still paying income taxes and probably will as long as I make money.
There are other factors of course like still keeping a home in Canada, keeping your family in Canada etc. in which case, it is only just that you pay taxes for your family's use of public services. However, if you move along with your family, it is fairly simple to declare yourself a non-resident. I know people who have done this. You file for the last year you had income in Canada and then write a letter stating that you have moved to another country on date x and you would like to be considered a non-resident. CRA accepts that.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Yes.... but please remember that the onus is always on the taxpayer.

I also know people who declared themselves non residents for tax purposes and years later CRA came after them.

You may be liable for taxes for as little as having a PO box or a rewards credit card in Canada.