+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship Residency Calculator Question

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Dear All,
Can someone clarify the following question I have about Canadian Residency requirement for Citizenship

I became a Canadian PR on Feb 28 2008. I lived abroad until Dec 31 2010. I'm living in Canada from Jan 1st 2011 till now.
(a) In the citizenship residency calculator first question "Enter the date when you first came to Canada to live (YYYY-MM-DD)." which date should I enter ?
(b) In the citizenship application Form Question 6.B "When did you first come to live in Canada if different from (A)" What should I enter here.

Thanks for your time and help

RajevSantik

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prak11 said:
Dear All,
Can someone clarify the following question I have about Canadian Residency requirement for Citizenship

I became a Canadian PR on Feb 28 2008. I lived abroad until Dec 31 2010. I'm living in Canada from Jan 1st 2011 till now.
(a) In the citizenship residency calculator first question "Enter the date when you first came to Canada to live (YYYY-MM-DD)." which date should I enter ?
(b) In the citizenship application Form Question 6.B "When did you first come to live in Canada if different from (A)" What should I enter here.

A and B will be the same date, the date you became PR

* this is based on my understanding, however, you might want to confirm this

OTTAWA2013

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
LANDED PR 2009
prak11 said:
Dear All,

Hello Park11

The both dates A&B are the day you became a permanent resident ( the day you landed as a PR )

The date would be different in one case which if you have applied for your PR inland,( because in this case you would be living here before you become a PR) .

Good luck!

sharuu

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2009
Visa Office......
Buff - Ott
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2011
AOR Received.
September 2011
File Transfer...
July 2012
Passport Req..
December 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 2012
LANDED..........
February 2013
prak11 said:
Dear All,

Were you living in Canada before you became PR? If you came in as a student for instance, that should the first date you entered.

dindon

Jun 13, 2013
i need help here please , i become a permanent resident 3 month ago , october 07 , 2014 , but i lived in canada with work permit status since october 2007 , i did never leave the country , am i eligible for the citizenship ? because i heared u must have 1095 days within the last 4 years , witch with work permit its accounting half period, so since october 2007 till now i have a legal 2540 days witch is 1270 days 1/2 the period but its from 2007 till now. what do you guys think ?

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
dindon said:
i need help here please , i become a permanent resident 3 month ago , october 07 , 2014 , but i lived in canada with work permit status since october 2007 , i did never leave the country , am i eligible for the citizenship ? because i heared u must have 1095 days within the last 4 years , witch with work permit its accounting half period, so since october 2007 till now i have a legal 2540 days witch is 1270 days 1/2 the period but its from 2007 till now. what do you guys think ?
See quoted below FAQ#3 answer for a similar question.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do
What is the residence requirement?
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application. Please note that you cannot meet the residence requirements for citizenship without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.

When calculating your time in Canada:

only the four (4) years preceding the date of your application are taken into account;
each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day;
each day you lived in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;

FAQ#3
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do;jsessionid=3ABAB9E52EF93640E5BCD03EC5E1675F?redir=faq#Q3

However, in some situations, you may have to wait longer to apply than simply the number of missing days. Following are some examples:

You have resided in Canada for the whole four-year period immediately before your application, but for the initial part of the four-year period you were not a permanent resident.

As any time spent in Canada before you were a permanent resident is counted at half-value, dropping a half day at the start of your residence period and replacing it with a full day at the end brings you towards meeting the requirement more slowly than simply adding a full day at the end—for every day you gain you lose another half day.

For example, you entered Canada on 2001-07-01 and obtained permanent resident status on 2004-07-01. You indicated you would apply for citizenship on 2006-06-01. You have no absences from Canada and spent no time in jail, under a conditional sentence, on probation or on parole.

The calculator will state that you have 1,080 days of residence but that you will be eligible to apply only on 2006-07-01—30 days after the indicated application date—even though you are only missing 15 days.

Note: Because of this, it is not mathematically possible to meet the residence requirement until you have at least two (2) years of permanent residence, no matter how long you have spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
dindon said:
I concur in the observations posted by Donvalley, but will note with emphasis some key things:

New law will apply: Foremost, 2014 PRs will absolutely be subject to the new law.

There is no prospect of a PR landing in 2014 becoming eligible for a grant of citizenship before the fourth anniversary (in 2018) of the day they landed. PRs who landed in 2014 will definitely have to meet the 4 years in 6 presence requirement which will come into force some time in 2015 (it is already adopted law, just not yet in force). In other words, for someone who landed in October, 2014, there is no way that individual will be eligible before October, 2018.

Time spent in Canada prior to date of landing and becoming a PR will no longer count toward meeting the presence requirement.

Realistically, the soonest you will be eligible to apply for citizenship will be October 2018 plus however many days you are outside Canada in the meantime.

Even under the current residency requirement:

-- As Donvalley emphasized, the absolute minimum amount of time for a PR to qualify for citizenship is two years as a PR. Thus, for a PR landing in October 2014, the absolute earliest date the PR could become eligible (if the current law was still applicable, but it will not be), would be October 2016.

-- Only the four years immediately preceding the date of application is considered (under current law). Thus, for an application made in October 2016, only time in Canada after October 2012 could be counted . . . half day credits for time in Canada between October 2012 and date of landing, and full day credits for time in Canada after landing to date of applying.

In the meantime, keep good records of all addresses, schooling, employment, and travel.