+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship Photo requirements

Chrysos

Jan 8, 2017
Anyone who has recently completed the citizenship application process using the current photo instructions, your input would help me a lot!
The current instructions are here, cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/photospecs-cit.asp

On the photo requirement page it says "The frame size must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″).
The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 1/4″) and 36 mm (1 7/16″).
Crown means the top of the head or (if obscured by hair or a head covering) where the top of the head or skull would be if it could be seen.
If the photographs do not meet the specifications, you will have to provide new photographs before your application can be processed.

It looks to me like the frame size is specified as a minimum only, "at least".
I had photos taken at Costco, my head size in the photos is correct.
If I cut them down the photographer's stamp and signature will not fit on the photo.
I wish these instructions were more detailed:(

I really think these instructions suck! If they're going to be picky they need to be very specific!

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you ask specifically for citizenship application photos when you got them from Cosco? I had mine done there too and they were up to specifications without having to cut them.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rigly68 said:
Did you ask specifically for citizenship application photos when you got them from Cosco? I had mine done there too and they were up to specifications without having to cut them.
The Costco he's talking about is in the USA. When I was in the USA and wanted to have my photos taken for my Canadian citizenship card, I went to a photographer who was able to produce the correct size.

Chrysos' post is really directed to people in the U.S. who have applied for proof of Canadian citizenship. Did you send in a standard U.S. passport-size photo (2" x 2") and was it accepted?

Another discussion of this issue (with a similar misunderstanding by people who think this Texan is in Canada) : http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/where-to-get-the-pictures-taken-t245376.0.html

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chrysos said:
Anyone who has recently completed the citizenship application process using the current photo instructions, your input would help me a lot!
The current instructions are here, cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/photospecs-cit.asp

On the photo requirement page it says "The frame size must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″).
The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 1/4″) and 36 mm (1 7/16″).
Crown means the top of the head or (if obscured by hair or a head covering) where the top of the head or skull would be if it could be seen.
If the photographs do not meet the specifications, you will have to provide new photographs before your application can be processed.

just go to a photo place and show them printout from cic website.

If I cut them down the photographer's stamp and signature will not fit on the photo.

I really think these instructions suck! If they're going to be picky they need to be very specific!

Chrysos

Jan 8, 2017
For further clarification.

The 4 photos are on two pieces of photo paper that are 4x6 each. Each has two photos on it. The measurements are correct for my face. The photographer stamped each page on the back of one of the photos. I could cut the two pages and have 4 separate photos, 2 of them would be stamped and signed as required.
They would each be 2 7/8 x4.
The requirements say "The frame size must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″
It doesn't say anywhere that the photo can't be larger than these measurements.

I'm reading posts by many people that are cutting the photos to exactly 35mm x 45mm. But that is not the way I am reading the requirements. Just wondering what is the right thing to do:)

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chrysos said:
For further clarification.

The 4 photos are on two pieces of photo paper that are 4x6 each. Each has two photos on it. The measurements are correct for my face. The photographer stamped each page on the back of one of the photos. I could cut the two pages and have 4 separate photos, 2 of them would be stamped and signed as required.
They would each be 2 7/8 x4.
The requirements say "The frame size must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″
It doesn't say anywhere that the photo can't be larger than these measurements.

I'm reading posts by many people that are cutting the photos to exactly 35mm x 45mm. But that is not the way I am reading the requirements. Just wondering what is the right thing to do:)
In my opinion, 2 7/8" x 4" would be way too big. I found a photographer who had a book with the requirements for many different countries, though I also printed the photo spec page myself and took it in with me. He took the photos and then used an x-acto knife to cut them to 35mm x 45mm. Like I said before, the requirements may have been eased to accept a 2" x 2" photo (someone will have to answer the question to know for sure), but it's very unlikely they would take bigger than that.

.Steve

Sep 9, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chrysos said:

I too did not have Costco / Walmart close to where I live so I went to a local photo studio and they helped based on the specs.
Do not go to any photographer who runs business from home.....
Any place that has professional printing equipment can get the right size prints

You can handwrite with a pen.
Make sure you have name of photographer, studio address, date photo taken along with Name and date of birth.
I did the same and it worked.
All you got to make sure the size is right....

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Keith Moon said:
Are the specs for these photos the same as for those on Canadian passports?
No they are different sizes.

Citizenship photo: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/photospecs-cit.asp
passport photo:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/photos.asp

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simoncanada said:
Should I write just my name back of the photo or DOB too
The guide only asks for the applicants name. That is what I did - only the name.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NewCanadian123 said:
@Rigly68 - Was your photo accepted with just the applicant's name written on the back?
I had my name plus the name, address of photographer studio and date taken. It was accepted.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I cut out a 35mm x 45mm rectangle (triple-checking the measurements) from a piece of thin clear acrylic to make a template, and took it to a FedEx store where they took passport photos. On the 2x2 inch photo, my head measured 33mm. The clerk traced out the template on the photos, then cut them to size with a rotary paper cutter. On the back, he wrote my name, his name, the store address, and the date; he also signed his name on a store business card.