+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship for USA Citizens

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Dear all,

My child is 8 years old and she is a USA citizen. Are USA citizens are allowed to apply for Canada citizen? Do they have to surrender their USA citizenship? Does USA provides dual citizenship? We are PR holders and eligable to apply for Citizenship.

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thanks

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all,

My child is 8 years old and she is a USA citizen. Are USA citizens are allowed to apply for Canada citizen? Do they have to surrender their USA citizenship? Does USA provides dual citizenship? We are PR holders and eligable to apply for Citizenship.

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thanks
If you're PR and meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply. Dual citizenship allowed by both US and Canada, so you don't have to surrender US citizenship.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Just to clarify, the US doesn’t recognize dual citizenship. You can have it, but they won’t acknowledge it. It’s perfectly legal. Just a small difference.
The only issue that it can cause, is that some government jobs won’t allow it. So, if your daughter ever wants to work in a high level or military job she might have to renounce her Canadian citizenship. It’s actually quite a process to give up US citizenship and almost impossible to strip it from someone.

Millions of US citizens have it, go for it!

Reactions: bellaluna

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Thank you friends. Another question, her USA passport is expiring in Jan 2021 and as per my understanding the application process requires 12 months. Can I change her passport during the course. How do I update to IRCC. Is this something, I will have to do online or send them copies.

thanks again