+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizenship for US born children

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Hello,
My kids were born in the US and are currently holding US passports. They are both minors (less than 10 years old) and currently hold US passports. They are also Canadian permanent residents and have been living here for more than 3 years. My wife and I are Indian citizens, and we plan on applying for Canadian citizenship.
I was wondering if there is any challenge in applying Canadian citizenship for the kids. I would like them to be dual citizens. I am trying to ensure that getting Canadian citizenship and passports will not impact their current US citizenship status. Any thoughts/comments would be helpful!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,
My kids were born in the US and are currently holding US passports. They are both minors (less than 10 years old) and currently hold US passports. They are also Canadian permanent residents and have been living here for more than 3 years. My wife and I are Indian citizens, and we plan on applying for Canadian citizenship.
I was wondering if there is any challenge in applying Canadian citizenship for the kids. I would like them to be dual citizens. I am trying to ensure that getting Canadian citizenship and passports will not impact their current US citizenship status. Any thoughts/comments would be helpful!
There aren't any challenges when you apply for Canadian Citizenship for your kids who are American citizens. The procedure remains the same.

AFAIK, both the US and Canada allow dual citizenship so getting Canadian citizenship shouldn't affect their American citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship. However, persons who acquire a foreign nationality after age 18 by applying for it may relinquish their U.S. nationality if they wish to do so

Reactions: skeecandidate

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Correct, both US and Canada allow dual citizenship and US citizenship will not be affected by getting Canadian citizenship.

In fact, US citizenship is the most difficult and expensive to get rid of. One must explicitly renounce US citizenship to lose it, and to do that, one has to be current on all US tax obligations, fill out application forms, pay $2,350, and appear before a US consulate or embassy.

Reactions: skeecandidate