21-04-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
Hi,

Me and my wife are going to apply for Canadian citizenship. I am thinking whether I should apply for my US born child as well. He currently has US citizenship.

Please share your views...thanks in advance.

catharines

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Hi,

Me and my wife are going to apply for Canadian citizenship. I am thinking whether I should apply for my US born child as well. He currently has US citizenship.

I applied for my son who has US citizenship too

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hi,

I'm guessing that you and your wife were "birth tourists" in the US, so the real question is if you want your son to be a dual citizen. As a US citizen, he will have to pay taxes to the US government whenever and wherever he starts earning an income, and he will have to register for the Selective Service when he turns 18. If you don't want to burden him with these obligations, then it would be a good idea to apply for Canadian citizenship for him so that when he turns 14, he can renounce his American citizenship.

pk_2015

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2015
AOR Received.
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
21-04-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
I'm guessing that you and your wife were "birth tourists" in the US, so the real question is if you want your son to be a dual citizen. As a US citizen, he will have to pay taxes to the US government whenever and wherever he starts earning an income, and he will have to register for the Selective Service when he turns 18. If you don't want to burden him with these obligations, then it would be a good idea to apply for Canadian citizenship for him so that when he turns 14, he can renounce his American citizenship.
No we were there on work visa. Thanks for sharing your view.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
My oldest son was born in the US, I applied for his Canadian ( I'm a PR from the US) and we are doing the reverse for my younger son ( born here). They are both entitled to dual citizenship and we wanted them to have both until such time they can decide on their own whether or not to have both.

Reactions: pk_2015

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Hi,

Since your child was born in the US and was not a Canadian citizen via acquisition at birth, having your child in Canada may be considered a "potentially expatriating act" to the US and cause a loss of US citizenship. I'm not an immigration lawyer however, so if you want to verify this it might be better to get professional advice. (Naturalizing in another country is listed as a potentially expatriating act by the US).

Renouncing the American citizenship costs more than $2,400 plus hassle plus paperwork, and the US has a foreign earned income exclusion for US citizens taxed abroad so you don't owe anything if you make less than $101,300 USD abroad in a given year. If the equivalent tax (income tax) is higher in Canada (or whatever country you are abroad in) than the US, then you can claim the foreign tax credit instead, and you would not owe the US anything.

You do have to file any year that you make more than $10,000 USD (as a single filer), but form 1040 is not that bad, and some Free file providers for the 1040 can accommodate foreign addresses.

To me the advantages a US citizenship confers (including the right to enter the US and work in the US) would outweigh the marginal effort each year to file a return. If for whatever reason pk_2015's child wants to study, work, or live in the US at some point, it becomes substantially harder and more expensive to do so if they have renounced their citizenship.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since your child was born in the US and was not a Canadian citizen via acquisition at birth, having your child in Canada may be considered a "potentially expatriating act" to the US and cause a loss of US citizenship.
"Having your child in Canada"? The question has to do with whether to apply for Canadian citizenship for a U.S. born child. My answer is, of course, why not? There is a downside to being a U.S. citizen (financial issues), but no downside that I know of to being a Canadian citizen, and the child is already a U.S. citizen by birth. Thousands of U.S. citizens have become Canadian citizens without losing their U.S. citizenship, so any concern about that possibility is overblown.

pk_2015

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2015
AOR Received.
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
21-04-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
Thanks everyone. After some thought i have decided to apply for his Canadian Citizenship

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
"Having your child in Canada"? The question has to do with whether to apply for Canadian citizenship for a U.S. born child. My answer is, of course, why not? There is a downside to being a U.S. citizen (financial issues), but no downside that I know of to being a Canadian citizen, and the child is already a U.S. citizen by birth. Thousands of U.S. citizens have become Canadian citizens without losing their U.S. citizenship, so any concern about that possibility is overblown.
Mea culpa. I meant having OP's child naturalize in Canada, at least by the letter of the law.

In practice I do agree that the possibility is remote. You "renounce all foreign citizenships" when you naturalize in the US by the words spoken, but pretty much every country (Canada included) doesn't consider that to apply either.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
Mea culpa. I meant having OP's child naturalize in Canada, at least by the letter of the law.

In practice I do agree that the possibility is remote. You "renounce all foreign citizenships" when you naturalize in the US by the words spoken, but pretty much every country (Canada included) doesn't consider that to apply either.
By the words of the oath it does lead you to believe that and the State department website seems to discourage it for military reasons. If your to countries of citizenship go to war with each other, where do your allegiances lie? Since technically, you swore allegiance to both. However, also from what I've read you also have to make a sworn statement to an official your intent to rescind citizenship, they don't just send you notice you no longer have it. From my understanding.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By the words of the oath it does lead you to believe that and the State department website seems to discourage it for military reasons. If your to countries of citizenship go to war with each other, where do your allegiances lie? Since technically, you swore allegiance to both. However, also from what I've read you also have to make a sworn statement to an official your intent to rescind citizenship, they don't just send you notice you no longer have it. From my understanding.
In this case, the child is already a U.S. citizen. The Canadian oath does not contain a renunciation of foreign citizenships.

If the case were reversed, yes, the U.S. oath contains a renunciation, but nowadays most other countries ignore it, though that wasn't always the case.

In practical terms, the United States does not currently strip individuals of their citizenship for taking another citizenship. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled against that practice starting in the 1960s. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afroyim_v._Rusk) However, there can be repercussions in the U.S. of having multiple citizenships, mainly in terms of not receiving a security clearance (if one has a job requiring such).

Reactions: blueangel371115

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
Makes sense. My sons are dual citizens by virtue of birth. I'm a US citizen and my husband's Canadian. Whether or not they keep them is up to them.

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
In this case, the child is already a U.S. citizen. The Canadian oath does not contain a renunciation of foreign citizenships.

If the case were reversed, yes, the U.S. oath contains a renunciation, but nowadays most other countries ignore it, though that wasn't always the case.

In practical terms, the United States does not currently strip individuals of their citizenship for taking another citizenship. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled against that practice starting in the 1960s. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afroyim_v._Rusk) However, there can be repercussions in the U.S. of having multiple citizenships, mainly in terms of not receiving a security clearance (if one has a job requiring such).
Correct, in practical terms the US is unlikely to enforce the oath of citizenship as being expatriating, particularly as a child.

As far as security clearances go other citizenships can be a barrier. The biggest concern is a foreign passport - in almost all cases, multiple citizens have to surrender all of their non-US passports to get a security clearance. Then depending on the agency and the guidelines, expressing a "preference" for another nation can be an issue, but generally acquiring the citizenship involuntarily (like jus soli citizenship in Canada) or as a minor under the direction of parents (like OP) is a mitigating factor. This concern for a clearance can often be mitigated by expressing a "willingness" to renounce foreign citizenships (not necessarily actually requiring it in the end).

This impacts an exceedingly small number of people though, and the benefits conferred by having the Canadian citizenship would likely exceed the theoretical benefit of potentially holding a US security clearance in the future.

Reactions: blueangel371115