Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Your baby is a Canadian citizen by birth in Canadian soil, so you just have to apply for a Canadian passport.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thewthew said:
Hi Everyone, i have a question of my own regarding this topic.

My wife and I came to Canada back in May,14 for IEC, and got work permit from a new employer valid until 2017.
We are both Hong Kong Citizens, and are trying to settle here in Alberta, and I had applied for PR via Express Entry under the CEC class but rejected due to insufficient proof regarding my work experience. (My bad thinking one attachment would mean one proof is all they need for each employment). I am planning to re-apply again with the help of immigration consultant this time.

My wife just gave birth to our first born back last month, and we are trying to figure out what status will the baby have? Since we have planned a vacation to go home this November, we are gathering the documents needed for the baby to travel.

My Questions are:
- Is the baby a Canadian Citizen?
- If yes, is the baby applicable for a Canadian Passport?
- If not, how can we travel with the baby this November?

Will greatly appreciate if someone can share their insight/experience as there arent exact answers online with so many different scenarios and cases. Thanks in advance! ;)
1. Yes, Assuming you are not diplomats.
2. Yes
3. See 1 and 2

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Aren't workers who are legally in Canada covered by most provincial health insurance? When I was an undergraduate at UofT, I was enrolled in OHIP, it seems strange that a graduate student or post-doc wouldn't be.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nope said:
Aren't workers who are legally in Canada covered by most provincial health insurance? When I was an undergraduate at UofT, I was enrolled in OHIP, it seems strange that a graduate student or post-doc wouldn't be.
Not for post graduate certificate programs.
They give them anow international student insurance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nope said:
In most cases yes but students are not covered in all provinces and some people who have open work permits have had problems based on that their work permit does not specify an employer in that province.

IEC applicants are told that they need to have their own health insurance but I have heard of some applying for provincial health care and getting it.

prith

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Dhaka
App. Filed.......
18-04-2018
Doc's Request.
18-04-2018
Passport Req..
20-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2018
if the baby become canadian citizen, what about the parents? do they also become citizen?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
prith said:
if the baby become canadian citizen, what about the parents? do they also become citizen?
No. The parents would have to qualify for citizenship and apply on their own.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
prith said:
Of course not. Having a Canadian child doesn't have any effect on the status of the parents.

thewthew

Sep 26, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes, Assuming you are not diplomats.
2. Yes
3. See 1 and 2
Thank you PMM for your prompt reply, hopefully our PR application will go thru soon so we can finally have some peace of mind.

mskkyyat

Nov 4, 2016
Canadian citizenship for a child born in Canada to non-Canadian parents

my husband is yemeni and i am not canadian, we are both visistors if I get birth here in canada

- Will the baby be Canadian Citizen?
- If not, how can we travel with the baby?

thank you for your help

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Did you read all the answers?? A child born in Canada has citizenship, yes, you can get a passport for him/her.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mskkyyat said:

my husband is yemeni and i am not canadian, we are both visistors if I get birth here in canada

- Will the baby be Canadian Citizen?
- If not, how can we travel with the baby?

thank you for your help
If neither of you is a diplomat then your baby will be Canadian if born in Canada. Your baby may also be able to get your citizenship as well as from the father. However, having a baby in Canada without health insurance will be expensive for you.

newcomer7

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Hi all,

I understood that mean if a Canadian (by naturalized) mom, gave birth to her baby in Canada, her baby is automatically a Canadian citizen showing by her baby Birth Certificate. If she want to take her baby to travel outside Canada, she needs to apply a Canadian Passport for her baby. Then, does her baby Birth Certificate is good enough for the passport application, or what document she needs more to submit for her baby Canadian passport application? Please help.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi all,

I understood that mean if a Canadian (by naturalized) mom, gave birth to her baby in Canada, her baby is automatically a Canadian citizen showing by her baby Birth Certificate. If she want to take her baby to travel outside Canada, she needs to apply a Canadian Passport for her baby. Then, does her baby Birth Certificate is good enough for the passport application, or what document she needs more to submit for her baby Canadian passport application? Please help.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/children/apply.html

2. Gather all necessary documents and get your child’s passport photo
Include the following documents with your child’s application form:

All documents must be submitted in either French or English. If a document is in another language, an official translation must be provided.