+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship by Descent

Flpeteryan

Aug 6, 2020
Hello,
I am a U.S. citizen with Canadian descent on my father's side. My father was born in Ontario, Canada in 1888. To my knowledge, he never renounced his citizenship. Therefore, I believe he still would have become a Canadian citizen in 1947, when the rules regarding British subjects changed.

The one issue I have is that I do not have his birth certificate. The Archives of Ontario has a record of his birth in their vital records, but this does not resemble a Birth certificate. I spoke with them and requested a search, and they told me that they would perform one once their collections reopen, post COVID-19 shutdown. Is there anything else I could do? Because he was born so long ago, I know that there's a possibility he doesn't have a birth certificate. I figured that it would be worth inquiring.
Thanks

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
When were you born? You are likely a citizen but certainly documentation could be a hassle given how long ago we're talking.

Flpeteryan

Aug 6, 2020
I was born in 1932. Besides his birth certificate, I have all the other documentation. I highly doubt that Canada would accept the Vital Record of his birth in 1888 for my Certificate of Citizenship. The Archives of Ontario recorded his birth in a collection labeled "Ontario Births 1869 to 1912."

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I was born in 1932. Besides his birth certificate, I have all the other documentation. I highly doubt that Canada would accept the Vital Record of his birth in 1888 for my Certificate of Citizenship. The Archives of Ontario recorded his birth in a collection labeled "Ontario Births 1869 to 1912."
To be honest, that may be the only record that Ontario has of his birth.

Flpeteryan

Aug 6, 2020
With the COVID-19 situation, I trust it will take a while for the Archives of Ontario to reopen. Would it be worth the effort to try to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship with the records I have, or does it make more sense to wait and see if they find anything in the future?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
With the COVID-19 situation, I trust it will take a while for the Archives of Ontario to reopen. Would it be worth the effort to try to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship with the records I have, or does it make more sense to wait and see if they find anything in the future?
I would apply for now with what you have.

Reactions: Flpeteryan

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Just for context - a birth certificate in most provinces (mine in BC at least) is a "certified extract of Vital Statistics" - so a Vital Record of Birth is likely the official format of the birth record.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will need a certified copy of the birth registration from the Archives of Ontario. It works as a birth certificate for a person born before 1918.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/access/documents/research_guide_202_vital_statistics_EN.pdf

Getting Birth, Marriage or Death Certificates The Archives of Ontario:
• Does not issue birth, marriage or death certificates
• Will only certify photocopies of registrations made in the presence of Archives' staff in our Reading Room, or requested by mail, e-mail, fax or telephone. See the end of this guide for contact information, or click here to email the Archives of Ontario. . Please include, as far as you know, the name of the person(s), the location, the date (we will search a five year range), and the parents’ names (for a birth). See this guide for information on how you can search and locate a registration before requesting a certified copy. A certification fee of $33.00 (plus HST and postage and handling fees) applies. Please do not include payment with your request; we will invoice you only when a certified copy is ready.

The Office of the Registrar General of Ontario:
• Will not issue Death Certificates for Vital Statistics records in the Archives of Ontario collection
• Will issue Birth and Marriage Certificates only to the person identified on the record.

Registration vs certificate:
• The registration is the original government record of the birth, marriage or death.
• A certificate is produced by the Office of the Registrar General using information from the registration.
• Certified copies of registrations held at the Archives of Ontario have the same legal value as a certificate produced by the Office of the Registrar General.

Flpeteryan

Aug 6, 2020
If the Certified Copy from the Archives has the same value as the official Birth Certificate from the Registrar General, I wouldn't need to obtain the official birth certificate, right? Does IRCC accept certified copies or would they need the actual certificate? I don't think the Registrar would allow me to request it because I'm not the person on the certificate.

I did email someone from the Archives requesting a certified copy of his Birth Certificate, however, they are unable to search for it until their office reopens.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
They would not need the original certificate; most people only have certified extracts (even if it's the first and only copy they ever got) of the official records that they call "birth certificates."