+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen working in U.S. sponsoring wife to come to Canada

outsider

May 8, 2008
I would like to be clarified as to residency, I know it is okay to sponsor my wife to come to Canada although I am working in the U.S. and stay in the U.S. for most of the year.
My question is :

Will Immigration issue a visa to my wife to come to Canada even if I am working in the U.S. ?

The law says I have to live in Canada when my wife becomes a permanent resident, that is she has to be given first a visa to come to Canada, can I continue working in the U.S. while she does not yet have a visa ?

Do I quit my job in the U.S. and go back to live in Canada even if my wife does not yet a visa to come to Canada ?

pea

Apr 23, 2008
hi there

form what I know, if you currently don't live in cananda, you can sponsor your spouse if you live exclusively outside of canada.

you don't have to quit your job when you submit the application. but once the PR visa is approved and your wife is to move to canada, you must also be living in canada with her. Which means you cannot live in the US anymore if she is approved to be a permanent resident and moves to canada.

This is what I understood from reading all the paper work as I am also a canadian living outside of canada who will be sponsoring my spouse to move to canada with me.

Hopefully this help and maybe another expert could verify my answer?

jules128

May 13, 2008
I am in a similar situation, living and working in the US and planning to move to Canada. From what I understand, your biggest hurdle will be proving your intent to return to Canada. If you're working in the US and don't have a job offer in Canada, how will you do that? I'm planning to move to Canada, submit the paperwork once I'm there, and look for a job. Therefore, I won't have to prove any intent to return to Canada as I'm already there. I'm planning to keep my US-based job though because all my work is done online. If anyone sees any possible obstacles to this, please let me know!!