+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen wanting his wife to accompany him on TRV

cali4nia

Feb 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello to all!

I'm sincerely hoping I can get good advice on my current dilemma. I recently married my wife here in the UAE. I will soon resign from my job and head back home to Montreal to run the family business. I own my own home in Canada but have been a non-resident (for tax purposes) for the past 3 years while I was in Dubai.

I met my wife more than 2 years ago and we can prove that our relationship is genuine. She is currently employed and in very good standing with her emplyer in Dubai and her UAE resident's visa is good until 2011. She does not have any lease in her name, nor bank accounts in the UAE because she sends most of her earnings to the Philippines.

After speaking with a CIC call centre agent, I was told that she should declare all our intentions on the TRV (like wanting to apply for Sponsorship and PR once she is admitted to Canada) and so on and so forth. But one of the major criteria that Immigration officers look at in TRV's is the applicant's intention to return to the country of residence so... this is in direct conflict with what the CIC agent said.

I do not want to be separated from her while applying for Sponsorship and PR. I want to her to either accompany me to Canada or visit me later and then we will proceed with the "in Canada" sponsorship and PR application shortly upon her arrival. What is the BEST way to go about getting her approved for a TRV?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can not tell you what is the best way to get a TRV but if you are a citizen, you can sponsor your wife while you are both living outside Canada as long as you prove to immigration that you are planning on moving to Canada when she gets her PR. That way you would not be separated.

cali4nia

Feb 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
I can not tell you what is the best way to get a TRV but if you are a citizen, you can sponsor your wife while you are both living outside Canada as long as you prove to immigration that you are planning on moving to Canada when she gets her PR. That way you would not be separated.
Thanks so much Leon, but I can no longer remain in UAE for two reasons: 1 being my contract is about to expire and with it my status as a resident here, so I have to leave. 2 is that I have work related obligations waiting for me back home in Montreal and I need to return.

Any advice? We really want to avoid at all costs being separated but I have no choice but to return to Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The problem is that TRV's are generally not issued to people who are planning on staying in Canada. The IO's are not actually supposed to issue a TRV unless they are convinced the person is only visiting. That is your main hurdle in getting a TRV for your wife. If you can prove to them that your wife is only visiting and will be leaving again, then you can maybe get a TRV. If it is refused, you can try for a TRP. That is a visa sometimes given when a TRV is denied. If you are going for a TRP, you may stand a better chance if you already start the sponsorship application and get through the part of getting approved as a sponsor, that only takes a month. Then you can say ok, I am approved as a sponsor, now the wifes application gets processed in the Philippines and she will not overstay in Canada because if there is a problem, she will have to go to the Philippines to attend the interview. Some people were advised by their embassy to do that after the husband was refused for a TRV but I don't know if it worked for them.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon: What is a TRP, please?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
toby said:
Leon: What is a TRP, please?
Hi,

Temporary Resident Permit

If you are inadmissible to Canada for criminal, medical or other reasons and there are compelling and urgent reasons to allow you to enter or remain in Canada, you may apply for a Temporary Resident Permit.

Offences involving operation of a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol or drugs will, with very rare exceptions, render persons criminally inadmissible to Canada - and therefore in need of Approval of Rehabilitation or a Temporary Resident Permit to enter Canada for any purpose and any length of time.

A Temporary Resident Permit temporarily overcomes inadmissibility.

cali4nia

Feb 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Job_Seeker:

So, in my case (read first post of thread) can my wife apply for a TRP? And if so how and on what basis? How about if she says on her TRV/TRP application that she intends to return to UAE to continue work and re-join her husband (me) and she provides a letter from her employer verifying so and an intenirary for a return ticket? Should that be enough?

Many thanks in advance for your response. :eek:)

Temporary Resident Permit

If you are inadmissible to Canada for criminal, medical or other reasons and there are compelling and urgent reasons to allow you to enter or remain in Canada, you may apply for a Temporary Resident Permit.

Offences involving operation of a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol or drugs will, with very rare exceptions, render persons criminally inadmissible to Canada - and therefore in need of Approval of Rehabilitation or a Temporary Resident Permit to enter Canada for any purpose and any length of time.

A Temporary Resident Permit temporarily overcomes inadmissibility.

[/quote]

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try for a TRV first. If you are denied, then you can try for a TRP. There is no call for trying a TRP if you haven't been refused a TRV.

Cases I have heard of where TRP's have been granted include parents who've been denied TRV's because of likelyhood of overstaying as well as in the case of a PR having a baby outside Canada and the baby is not granted a TRV because of likelyhood of overstaying but the parent as a PR needs to be in Canada to sponsor the baby. Also the case of the couple where the wife was told that if she started sponsorship proceedings from outside Canada that she could apply for a TRP for her husband to come with her but I don't think they tried that.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
cali4nia said:
@ Job_Seeker:

So, in my case (read first post of thread) can my wife apply for a TRP? And if so how and on what basis? How about if she says on her TRV/TRP application that she intends to return to UAE to continue work and re-join her husband (me) and she provides a letter from her employer verifying so and an intenirary for a return ticket? Should that be enough?

Many thanks in advance for your response. :eek:)
Try applying for a TRV as a visitor first. If she can show enough ties (not that you are not THE stronger tie :)) with UAE, she may have a chance at being granted a visit visa. If she has a job in UAE with a reputable company , let her obtain a Certificate of Employment and an approved leave of absence. But if you are planning on applying for an "inland" sponsorship, exploring "dual intent" would be your best bet. This is basically what the CIC agent was telling you to do.

http://www.canadavisa.com/immigration-canada-dual-intent.html

There are no full proof/ iron clad applications.