+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen US PR spouse

RobinGT

Mar 16, 2023
Hello, I want to move back to Canada with my husband who is a green card holder of the US since July. We can wait a year but we really are ready and I miss my home in Canada. Is it possible for him to apply for PR in Canada?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, I want to move back to Canada with my husband who is a green card holder of the US since July. We can wait a year but we really are ready and I miss my home in Canada. Is it possible for him to apply for PR in Canada?
Since you are a Canadian citizen, you can start the process now by submitting an Outland Spousal Sponsorship application package.
You/he would need to show plans of moving back to Canada, if approved, at some point during the process.

Has your husband ever entered Canada before? If so, has he ever had any problems, or been refused entry before?

RobinGT

Mar 16, 2023
Since you are a Canadian citizen, you can start the process now by submitting an Outland Spousal Sponsorship application package.
You/he would need to show plans of moving back to Canada, if approved, at some point during the process.

Has your husband ever entered Canada before? If so, has he ever had any problems, or been refused entry before?
Thanks for the response. He just visited family in Alberta for Tibetan new year and had no problem at all. He really like Canada and we have talked of ultimately moving there permanently. I thought we had to wait for US citizenship. But we’d rather he get Canadian citizenship eventually because We have no interest in staying in the states.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the response. He just visited family in Alberta for Tibetan new year and had no problem at all. He really like Canada and we have talked of ultimately moving there permanently. I thought we had to wait for US citizenship. But we’d rather he get Canadian citizenship eventually because We have no interest in staying in the states.
I totally understand the reasoning...believe me!

Why did you think that he needs to have U.S. citizenship to apply for Canadian PR? You would just sponsor him as your spouse; doesn't matter where his citizenship is, or if he's a Green Holder holder.

Once he becomes a PR, he could then be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship after 3 years.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen.html

So, you may consider the Outland application now, just to get things moving.

Last edited:

RobinGT

Mar 16, 2023
I totally understand the reasoning...believe me!

Why did you think that he needs to have U.S. citizenship to apply for Canadian PR? You would just sponsor him as your spouse; doesn't matter where his citizenship is, or if he's a Green Holder holder.

Once he becomes a PR, he could then be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship after 3 years.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen.html

So, you may consider the Outland application now, just to get things moving.
He was a refugee in exile when I sponsored him in the States. I only applied in the US because I had a Tibetan group here that was my community I wanted the culture shock to be less. I had a difficult time finding a good immigration attorney in Canada as well. I found an amazing one here that didn't cost a fortune, and she did so much to help us. Tibetans don't have birth certificates and it's also very difficult to get police certificates from there especially if you fled because of the Chinese govt. So it took a while to get his immigration and with Covid it was two years more. He has two and half years to get citizenship here and I thought we had to get that before we could apply in Canada. Once he traveled easily with his travel document and green card, I began to think maybe this was possible. I do not want to be here in the 2024 elections time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a US citizen born here, I have dual citizenship. I was a PR for twelve years in Canada. I only relocated here to get my husband immigrated.
So to be 100% clear, are you currently a Canadian citizen or a Canadian PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He was a refugee in exile when I sponsored him in the States. I only applied in the US because I had a Tibetan group here that was my community I wanted the culture shock to be less. I had a difficult time finding a good immigration attorney in Canada as well. I found an amazing one here that didn't cost a fortune, and she did so much to help us. Tibetans don't have birth certificates and it's also very difficult to get police certificates from there especially if you fled because of the Chinese govt. So it took a while to get his immigration and with Covid it was two years more. He has two and half years to get citizenship here and I thought we had to get that before we could apply in Canada. Once he traveled easily with his travel document and green card, I began to think maybe this was possible. I do not want to be here in the 2024 elections time.
Thanks for expanding upon your situation.

Here's a fun fact:
Right after the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election...this website crashed because of the overwhelming load from those (mostly Americans, or GC holders) wanting to move to Canada (True story). Because of that, this sub-forum (and the parent forum 'Moving to Canada from the U.S.' was created.

I'd get on the Outland sponsorship option ASAP.

RobinGT

Mar 16, 2023
Thanks for expanding upon your situation.

Here's a fun fact:
Right after the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election...this website crashed because of the overwhelming load from those (mostly Americans, or GC holders) wanting to move to Canada (True story). Because of that, this sub-forum (and the parent forum 'Moving to Canada from the U.S.' was created.

I'd get on the Outland sponsorship option ASAP.
Thanks so much Yeah... that's a good idea. I would never in a million years have moved back here. I'm in California on the coast which is a better than most place to be, and still... it's worse than I could haveimagined. Especially after living in Canada for so many years.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much Yeah... that's a good idea. I would never in a million years have moved back here. I'm in California on the coast which is a better than most place to be, and still... it's worse than I could haveimagined. Especially after living in Canada for so many years.
Because you are a Canadian citizen, you do not need to be in Canada to sponsor. As of last September all applicants must apply online:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Who can use this application package?

Use this application package if you’re a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or a permanent resident of Canada who is 18 years of age or older and you want to sponsor:
  • your spouse or common-law partner who lives with you in Canada, and their dependent children
  • your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner who lives overseas

The fact that your husband has his GC status in the U.S., would seem to imply that the approval process for PR (in terms of background checks) may be relatively straight forward, since he has been vetted already...to an extent.

Good luck!

RobinGT

Mar 16, 2023
Thank you so much! Yes, I was thinking the same thing. He’s been thoroughly vetted. I have always intended for us to move back. Now we can begin the process. You’ve been so helpful. Thank you again.