+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen stay in the US more than 3 months?

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is anyone know how Canadian citizen stay in the US more than 3 months? Can we apply tourist visa inside the US?

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You mean we can enter the US as a Visitor for 1 year without apply a Visa?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canmozu said:
What happens if a Canadian overstays for more than six months.
US will make a note of it when they receive Canada entrance record. They will see that the person has overstayed in US. What they will do with this info is up to them. They can make a note of it in the system and when the person tried to enter US again, they will see the person has overstayed and thus may ban the person from entering due to not respecting immigration rules.

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
screech339 said:
US will make a note of it when they receive Canada entrance record. They will see that the person has overstayed in US. What they will do with this info is up to them. They can make a note of it in the system and when the person tried to enter US again, they will see the person has overstayed and thus may ban the person from entering due to not respecting immigration rules.
Thanks so Canadians are just like any other visitors visiting USA.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:
They still are not sharing border records on citizens of either country. However, upon next entry to US--CBP officer may ask for proof of return to Canada from your last southbound trip and deny you entry if you don't have it. Usually, they don't do this, but you never know.

BTW, entry to the US is totally at discretion of CBP officer. They can let you in for up to six month in a 12 month period--or for a much shorter period (or not at all). Its totally at their discretion.....

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
They still are not sharing border records on citizens of either country. However, upon next entry to US--CBP officer may ask for proof of return to Canada from your last southbound trip and deny you entry if you don't have it. Usually, they don't do this, but you never know.

BTW, entry to the US is totally at discretion of CBP officer. They can let you in for up to six month in a 12 month period--or for a much shorter period (or not at all). Its totally at their discretion.....
That is not true. I, as a Canadian, have ordered CBSA travel records and CBSA does record my entry into US as an exit record. While the last phase of the border sharing implementation is not complete, they do, in fact, share. This is important for Canada to keep track of Canadians leaving Canada into US so that they can cancel those on EI or request return ei payments for days outside Canada.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:
That is not true. I, as a Canadian, have ordered CBSA travel records and CBSA does record my entry into US as an exit record. While the last phase of the border sharing implementation is not complete, they do, in fact, share. This is important for Canada to keep track of Canadians leaving Canada into US so that they can cancel those on EI or request return ei payments for days outside Canada.
I have not heard that before. There has been no public announcement that the last phase of the entry/exit initiative has been implemented. The Canadian Snowbird Association and the Office of the Privacy Commissioner have both stated that there are still legislative changes that need to be made before information on citizens is shared. To my knowledge those changes have still not been made.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
I have not heard that before. There has been no public announcement that the last phase of the entry/exit initiative has been implemented. The Canadian Snowbird Association and the Office of the Privacy Commissioner have both stated that there are still legislative changes that need to be made before information on citizens is shared. To my knowledge those changes have still not been made.
It doesnt explain how my travel records shows an exit record going into US. If there is no sharing, my travel record would only show entry record into Canada from US with no record of me leaving Canada. But the records I have does show exit records.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
screech339 said:
It doesnt explain how my travel records shows an exit record going into US. If there is no sharing, my travel record would only show entry record into Canada from US with no record of me leaving Canada. But the records I have does show exit records.
I also have that feeling that there is a lot of information available to the government which we don't know about in regard to travels data.

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
i'm sharing those two article that i found interesting:

Entry / Exit US-Canada information exchange:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/ebsiip-asfipi-eng.html

How long a canadian citixen can stay in the USA:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2015/01/19/how-long-can-a-canadian-stay-in-the-us-and-vice-versa/#3a2628661783

Thanks,

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
From this topic from yesterday there is also interesting segment
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/windsor/justin-trudeau-to-announce-big-changes-at-canada-u-s-border-1.3483691
Plans to share data

Asked what announcements could be forthcoming he referred to three areas, including long-expected plans to share data for land travellers the way it's shared for air travel; swaps of exit data; and pre-clearance.

So it seems we have Air tracking data for a while in place.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:

I believe you, but I am not sure there is a legal or regulatory basis to share this information at this time. I might just order my records and if there is sharing going on already--you can bet I will take it to the top. Perhaps since the hold-up is on the Canadian side, Canada is getting US entry info but not vice versa?