+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen Moving to India for good

maheompr1

Nov 28, 2019
I am a Canadian citizen and have to move to India for good due to family reasons.
Want to know what all tax implications it will have, I wont have any ties with Canada.

After returning to India if I stay there for more than 182 days and sell my property in India how will tax be calculated on capital gains?
From India perspective I will be a resident Indian.

secret.simon

Jun 10, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen and have to move to India for good due to family reasons.
Want to know what all tax implications it will have, I wont have any ties with Canada.

After returning to India if I stay there for more than 182 days and sell my property in India how will tax be calculated on capital gains?
From India perspective I will be a resident Indian.
I am not sure that you will be a resident Indian in India. When you acquired your Canadian citizenship, your Indian citizenship will have automatically terminated, by operation of Indian law. Therefore you would be a foreigner in India, even assuming that you have applied for and acquired OCI.

The most recent Indian budget has made some significant changes to the definition of residence in India. You may want to go through the changes in Indian financial requirements before making a move.