+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canadian citizen marrying an american

pumkinhed

Jun 9, 2006
Hi,
my fiance is an american and i am canadian, we met on vacation and fallen head over heels in love and in march i asked her to marry me (silly girl accepted ;p)so we are getting married in july in texas.

she has a college degree and every time i've called canadian immigration and they give me the response that i will have to support her for over a year and a half (which is not a problem, I've been graduated several years, own my own house and have a good paying job) but is it true that there is no way for her to work here, should she choose to do so?

Thanks in advance.
brandon

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pumkinhed said:
Hi,
my fiance is an american and i am canadian, we met on vacation and fallen head over heels in love and in march i asked her to marry me (silly girl accepted ;p)so we are getting married in july in texas.

she has a college degree and every time i've called canadian immigration and they give me the response that i will have to support her for over a year and a half (which is not a problem, I've been graduated several years, own my own house and have a good paying job) but is it true that there is no way for her to work here, should she choose to do so?

Thanks in advance.
brandon
1. First of all start reading at www.cic.gc.ca
2. What is your plan, marry then she returns to Canada and you sponsor her in Canada? If so, then she will not be able to apply for work or study permits until she receives Approval in Principle about 7-9 months into the process.
3. If the plan is to marry, then sponsor her via Buffalo, then you are looking at 49 days for the application to be processed in Mississauga, then another 6-17 months in Buffalo, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/05-fc-spouses.html
the average processing times are contingent on a complete application being submitted. Once the application is complete, she will be "landed" in Canada (about 3 months after AIP) outside Canada, she will be issued a COPR (confirmation of PR) and then when she enters Canada, she will be "landed", which is become a permanent resident.

PMM