+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen living outside of Canada sponsoring spouse to migrate to Canada

trinirock

Star Member
May 2, 2017
App. Filed.......
8th March 2018
Doc's Request.
12th March 2018
AOR Received.
26th April 2018
File Transfer...
07th May 2018
Med's Request
10th August 2018
Med's Done....
25th August 2018
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25th October 2018
VISA ISSUED...
12th November 2018
Hi everyone I am new to this forum, my question is i am a canadian citizen living outside of canada with my husband and daughter (daughter is also a canadian citizen) and i want to sponsor my husband but i don't have any ties currently to canada like house/apt or job etc.

how to i prove my intent to move back to canada once my husband is approved PR status? any help will be appreciated!!

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
trinirock said:
Hi everyone I am new to this forum, my question is i am a canadian citizen living outside of canada with my husband and daughter (daughter is also a canadian citizen) and i want to sponsor my husband but i don't have any ties currently to canada like house/apt or job etc.

how to i prove my intent to move back to canada once my husband is approved PR status? any help will be appreciated!!
It may have gotten more restrictive, but when my spouse sponsored me 10+ years ago it was very easy... simply declaring intent to return. We didn't have rental agreement, school registration, Canadian bank accounts, job prospects, or any of the things that are now recommended.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
You need to present a game plan; where you intend to move, what you plan to do there. Useful evidence includes emails with realtors, employment agencies, registering on the Canada job bank, registering for university courses, etc.

If you don't include enough to convince them that you plan to (1) settle permanently in Canada, and (2) soon after PR being issued, they will either ask for more proof, or refuse the app & tell you to apply again once you're actually ready to move.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
trinirock said:

I was in the same position as you (albeit genders reversed!). I have live in the UK since I was a teenager (so for most of my life). Here is some useful reading on the sort of 'proof' you need:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ_-_New_Application_Forms#Item_2:_How_do_I_prove_I_intend_to_return_to_Canada.3F

I wrote out my 'game plan' in three pages of an attachment (where we planned to live, why, how we were going to support ourselves). Included a list of all of the trip both I and my wife took to Canada with any supporting documents I had (boarding passes, tickets etc.), signed letters from friends and relatives saying how often I had talked about going back, letter from my financial adviser confirming that my financial plan was to return to Canada by XXXX and that my finances ere arranged accordingly, evidence of a Canadian bank account I had opened and money I had already transferred in, the SIN number I had obtained, details of a realtor I had already spoken to, screen copies of posting I had already made to forums like this etc.

Reactions: trinirock

NBbound

Apr 6, 2017
Hi
We are in the same situation Canadian husband lived in U.K. for over 40 years. We have two children with Canadian passports. We just wrote out a one page plan of what we intended to do, saying sponsor wishes to return to Canada to live near his Canadian family, we included area were we want to live, how we are paying for a house there (i.e. Selling U.K. House raises this much, Canada house will be around this much, having researched homes for sale online) and how we will be paying for living in Canada, i.e. Savings, pensions, intentions of finding employment etc. We included evidence of finances. We received SA still waiting for PR.
Hope it helps

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We submitted a well laid out plan

Answer these questions:
-How are you going to support yourselves (live off savings till you get jobs)
-What city town do you intend to re-establish your life as a family and Why? (XYX, Ontario because it has a more vibrant/diversified economy with greater job prospects, or -XYZ British Columbia/Alberta, because you want to be close to Nature and love the mountains). Also elucidate the shortlisted neighbourhoods within the city of choice you are considering to rent a house in.
-If you dont have a Rental agreement (whats the reason, is it that you intend to only come back as a family and therefore would only be able to enter into a rental agreement once Spouse's PR is approved and you have a definite date)
-Where will you stay temporarily before you get a rented place of your own (Friends?, family? attach notorized letters from them stating this)
-What is your earning potential
-Make a list of things to do from now till the time you land in Canada and may be beyond that
-The citizen in your case should open a Newcomers bank account (before you come, it'll be deposit only until such time that you appear in person at a branch and activate it), send some money in it. Attach proof. This might be a very concrete thing to prove your intent.
-Have you done any research of your intended industry of employment
-Have you researched settlement agencies helping newcomers to Canada (attach screenshots)
-Temporary Health insurance research screenshots to cover for the time between your landing date and the date when a provincial health program kicks in. Its three months in Ontario
-Do you plan to go back to college, to update your skillset or get a Canadian certification to help with job prospects etc. (attach screenshots of research and any email exchanges you have done with universities/certification bodies etc.)
-Get notarized letters from relatives and family members from your country too stating that they know of your plans to move to Canada
- Quotes from Moving companies for moving XYZ kg of personal belongins from current city to intended city in Canada

incude as much "proof of intent" as possible.

One is a plan (write it out)
second is the list of supporting actions you are taking (read points above)

etc. etc. etc.

trinirock

Star Member
May 2, 2017
App. Filed.......
8th March 2018
Doc's Request.
12th March 2018
AOR Received.
26th April 2018
File Transfer...
07th May 2018
Med's Request
10th August 2018
Med's Done....
25th August 2018
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25th October 2018
VISA ISSUED...
12th November 2018
thanks everyone for you advice!!!! i now have a better understanding of proof of ''intent''

another question, my husband currently holds a multiple entry visitor's Visa to Canada can he enter Canada as a visitor after he applies for Permanent Residences to Canada????