+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CANADIAN CITIZEN - I want to have my baby in Canada

Ella 1280

Dec 11, 2013
I live in the UK and wanted to come back to Montreal to have my baby....I am a citizen but have lived abroad since 2002! Does anyone know where i can find info on this? I understand I may have to pay for it as u have to be there for 3 mths to be deemed a resident, but cant seem to find anything that details costs etc and the procedure of all this

Thanks

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Hi,
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

It all depends on the hospital. I don't know how it works in Montreal.
My wife gave birth in Toronto and the hospital had a flat fee for birth for women not covered under provincial health plan.

I would contact hospitals in Montreal and find out what the fees are. I think prices may vary depending on the hospital.
Good luck!

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Contact the hospital in question and ask how much their rate for child birth costs (from labour through postpartum) -- unless you want to wait out the residency requirements to be eligible again. Certainly complications that might require NICU would skyrocket the costs.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can contact some midwives or hospitals to ask about the cost but like Bargeld said, if there are complications, all bets are off and the costs can skyrocket.

Quebec actually has an exemption from the 3 month waiting period for pregnancy related issues and child birth. However, if you register with RAMQ as just having moved to Quebec and use this loophole when you really haven't moved, you know you are just visiting, this may be considered fraud if they realize that you left again after giving birth.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ella 1280 said:
I live in the UK and wanted to come back to Montreal to have my baby....I am a citizen but have lived abroad since 2002! Does anyone know where i can find info on this? I understand I may have to pay for it as u have to be there for 3 mths to be deemed a resident, but cant seem to find anything that details costs etc and the procedure of all this

Thanks
I have one question, why do you want to have the expense of having your child in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen (either through birth or naturalization) your child, if born in the UK will be a Canadian citizen by decent. All you would have to do is apply for proof of citizenship, proving you were a citizen at the time of the child's birth.

Mustafa100

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
Dear all,

my wife and I are planning to make the landing in Ontario at the end of December 2014, at that time my wife will be in the 7th month of her pregnancy,
Kindly, we are seeking your advice about the situation of my wife as she will not have heath coverage for the pregnancy, how can she apply for the midwife assistance in Ontario ( Toronto ) and where to go first regarding a follow up before baby birth ,
also where the best place to make the delivery ( I mean how much “ in average “ the hospitals will cost in normal case ) also what are the documents that she has to bring with her from our home country regarding her pregnancy and the history of pregnancy of our first baby,
also is there a hospital in Toronto which give flat rate for pregnant women without health coverage?

Thank you for your time and for your assistance in advance,

Sincerely,

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Mustafa100 said:
Dear all,

my wife and I are planning to make the landing in Ontario at the end of December 2014, at that time my wife will be in the 7th month of her pregnancy,
Kindly, we are seeking your advice about the situation of my wife as she will not have heath coverage for the pregnancy, how can she apply for the midwife assistance in Ontario ( Toronto ) and where to go first regarding a follow up before baby birth ,
also where the best place to make the delivery ( I mean how much “ in average “ the hospitals will cost in normal case ) also what are the documents that she has to bring with her from our home country regarding her pregnancy and the history of pregnancy of our first baby,
also is there a hospital in Toronto which give flat rate for pregnant women without health coverage?

Thank you for your time and for your assistance in advance,

Sincerely,
You can contact Rexdale community health center in Etobicoke area. They would enroll your wife in a program where they would bear all charges of tests and delivery even if your baby is delivered before you get the OHIP cards.
www.rexdalechc.com

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Mustafa100 said:
In Toronto midwives are in VERY high demand. Usually if you don't request a midwife within the first couple months of pregnancy, they are all booked up and you can't get one. So you'll need to immediately call every single midwife office in the area to check if they have any last-minute openings.
This one seems to have lots of openings: http://www.westendmidwives.ca/

Else if you deliver in a hospital, expect the cost for a very basic and normal delivery to be in the $3000 range. If any complications happen or need a c-section with extended hospital stay, that cost can climb to over $10,000. You would need to call around to hospitals near your address, to see what their typical rates are.

rawdah said:
You can contact Rexdale community health center in Etobicoke area. They would enroll your wife in a program where they would bear all charges of tests and delivery even if your baby is delivered before you get the OHIP cards.
www.rexdalechc.com
If you look on their website they state: Pregnancy care for women who are up to 32 weeks pregnant

This means anything that happens after 32 weeks, needs to be paid out-of-pocket. I highly doubt they will pay for all the hospital costs associated with delivery as that can cost a lot and where would they get the budget to pay for everyone?

The only option i'm aware of for a completely "free" delivery, is if you can deliver the baby at home or in the Toronto birth centre with a midwife, so no hospital or O.B. doc is required.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
what I understand from this thread is that if a Canadian is living outside Canada and does not have tie with Canada can he or she still come to Canada and take privilege of Ontario OHIP or Qubec Health Insurance Provincial program or other province health program through the Canadian tax payers money living in Canada. this is a bad news but lot of people do this come to Canada for health benefits. My understanding is that one should inform CRA and health Canada before leaving and get his OHIP card cancelled before leaving. once you come back apply again and then after 3 months wait period get eligibility. simple and easy and fair to everyone.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueshirt said:
what I understand from this thread is that if a Canadian is living outside Canada and does not have tie with Canada can he or she still come to Canada and take privilege of Ontario OHIP or Qubec Health Insurance Provincial program or other province health program through the Canadian tax payers money living in Canada. this is a bad news but lot of people do this come to Canada for health benefits. My understanding is that one should inform CRA and health Canada before leaving and get his OHIP card cancelled before leaving. once you come back apply again and then after 3 months wait period get eligibility. simple and easy and fair to everyone.
No, even a Canadian citizen is not eligible for health care right away if they have been living outside Canada and are moving to Ontario. They would also have to do the 3 month waiting period.

There are however people who do not notify health care that they have left the country and may still have a valid health card. Some may not realize that it is health care fraud to use it but if they do and get caught, they have a problem.