+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen can remarry in Philippines if still no devorce?

Analisa20

Nov 17, 2019
This is my Boyfriend case and we're planning to get marry but he's married to a Philippine citizen way back 2008 and he's holding a Permanent Residence only in Canada, my question is, is it possible for him to marry me in the Philippines if he will become a Canadian citizen? Or what other alternarive he needs to do with this case? His ex wife has a child already from another man and they never be together, only the time they got married in Philippines through west and for a month only.
Hope someone can answer me.

Thank you.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I do not believe Canada will recognize a second marriage if, at the time of that marriage, the person was already married. I don't believe the Philippines will allow him to marry again if not divorced or annulled.

Your boyfriend needs to be divorced, or live with you for a year to qualify for common-law.

Reactions: bellaluna

Analisa20

Nov 17, 2019
I do not believe Canada will recognize a second marriage if, at the time of that marriage, the person was already married. I don't believe the Philippines will allow him to marry again if not divorced or annulled.

Your boyfriend needs to be divorced, or live with you for a year to qualify for common-law.
Hi K.p.h, thank you for the response, appreciated. Maybe that's the only thing he needs to do, they should process the annulment then.