+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Certificate of Qualification - help please!

nscottawa

Mar 21, 2015
Hi: Under Express Entry form, one question asks if an applicant has a "Candian Certificate of Qualification". I'm a registered nurse in Ontario. Should I answer "yes" or "no"? Thank you.

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are applying as a nurse (I suppose you are), and you are registered/certified by the regulating body of your profession in Canada, then yes. That should give you 50 sweet points.

flystanny

Mar 14, 2012
haznac said:
If you are applying as a nurse (I suppose you are), and you are registered/certified by the regulating body of your profession in Canada, then yes. That should give you 50 sweet points.
Hello Haznac,

I need help please. I have a BSC in Accounting , plus a professional certificate (ACCA) which is the awarded by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants UK. However there is a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) between ACCA and CGA Canada (Certified General Accountants). I have applied to CGA and will be getting the certificate in a few days time. So my question is this. Does the certificate from CGA qualify for points under the requirement of a "Certificate issued by a Canadian territory"?

Is there anyone in my same situation? I plan to include it because it adds a whooping 50 points to my CRS score.

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
flystanny said:
Hello Haznac,

I need help please. I have a BSC in Accounting , plus a professional certificate (ACCA) which is the awarded by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants UK. However there is a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) between ACCA and CGA Canada (Certified General Accountants). I have applied to CGA and will be getting the certificate in a few days time. So my question is this. Does the certificate from CGA qualify for points under the requirement of a "Certificate issued by a Canadian territory"?

Is there anyone in my same situation? I plan to include it because it adds a whooping 50 points to my CRS score.
It sure sounds like it does, flystanny. I myself am trying to get a certified translator status in Canada. I will have to fly over to Canada 2 times for 2 separate exams to get it. But I believe it will be worth it. 50 more points are no joke!

nscottawa

Mar 21, 2015
Thank you for your replies about about Rigestered Nurse. See. One said "yes" whereas the other said "no. I called a couple of immigration consultants and got two different answers.

Wicked31, how certain are you with your reply "NO"? Any supporting information would be appreciated.

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nscottawa said:
Thank you for your replies about about Rigestered Nurse. See. One said "yes" whereas the other said "no. I called a couple of immigration consultants and got two different answers.

Wicked31, how certain are you with your reply "NO"? Any supporting information would be appreciated.
I suggest you look into your occupation's certification criteria in Canada. If being a registered nurse in Ontario suffices, then you should be considered certified, therefore eligible for those 50 points. But the requirements might be different.

For example, in my occupation NOC 5125 (Translator), first I need to meet the requirements (2 years of experience etc.) of the province association to qualify for an entrance exam in order to become a member and earn the status of candidate for certification. After being a member to the province association, I need 2 more years of experience to be eligible for the certification exam administered by the national body of the profession. Only then, I am considered certified. So you should look into your own body's requirements, I am not sure if an immigration consultant would know these, only you can, after some proper research.

Mahmednaeem

Feb 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2015
Hi, All....
I have applied under the category of "Social Worker", can I obtain certificate of Qualification??? As I am little bit confused b/w Skill trades and skilled worker..

As different states registered social worker, by registering there, can I will be able to apply for certificate of qualification and claim the "Sweeeet Points"

Please guide..

wicked31

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
nscottawa said:

You can look up on CIC website under Federal Skill Trade. A certificate of qualification lets people work in some skilled trades in Canada eg. electrician, plumbers, some engineers. You can also look up the list of skill trades

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wicked31 said:
Certificate of qualification only applies to skill trades. Nurses fall under skilled worker.
wicked31 is right, I was wrong. I just updated my EE profile with a certificate of qualification as a translator (a skilled worker) -just to see what will happen with score- and unfortunately, no points were added to my score... EE system allows you to declare if you have a certificate of qualification, but it only rewards those 50 points for skilled trades certification. Good that I haven't bought the plane tickets yet...

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
certificate of qualification only applies to trades, nothing else. So unless you have an occupation where you had to do an apprenticeship to qualify, you can't claim these points. electrician, mechanic, plumber, carpentry etc.
Anything else is a skilled worker.

Dec 4, 2014
flystanny said:
Hello Haznac,

Hello flystanny
I am also ACCA member holding BSc (Hons) in Accounting and going to be a member of CPA/CGA as well in this June under the MRA with ACCA. So far as your question is concerned, I think its about the Skilled trades and not for Skilled workers. Please correct if I am wrong.
My other question is that in Education section of EE profile, should I select "two or more certificates" option against my professional qualifications. Please also suggest if I need to have a WES assessment for my ACCA and BSc qualifications in order to improve my CSR points.
Thanks

Rocky127

May 18, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Haznac and flystanny,

Can you tell me if you were able to secure additional 50 points with your CPA/CA/CGA certificate.

Thank you

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

"Certificate of qualification (for people in trade occupations)"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/apply-who.asp

"Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these major and minor groups of the NOC:

Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers."

Rocky127

May 18, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good question but the answer is no.
For additional 50 points , you have to get a skill certificate which you can easily find on any province site.
e.g. For Ontorio look for collegeoftrades

Even though I am a licensee CPA from US and can get Canadian CPA under an agreement , it won't be counted as a skill certificate.

Do look on the link and you will realize what all jobs are related.