+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian car insurance with a US driver's license

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
Hi,

I moved to Ontario, Canada last month. I have a Michigan, US driver's license and I still go to the US for work. I will have to maintain my US driver's license for atleast next six months for some work site requirements. My wife does have an Ontario driver's license and an auto insurance from a Canadian insurance company. However, when she asked them to add me on the insurance policy, they simply refused saying that they will only accept Canadian driver's license. Is that how it works here?

I am asking because my experience in the US is a bit different. My wife moved to Canada before I did and got Canadian drivers license and my US insurance company didn't mind that she now has a Canadian driver's license. They said that even if she had a driver's license of another country (say India) they would have still kept her on my insurance policy since she is my spouse.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

I moved to Ontario, Canada last month. I have a Michigan, US driver's license and I still go to the US for work. I will have to maintain my US driver's license for atleast next six months for some work site requirements. My wife does have an Ontario driver's license and an auto insurance from a Canadian insurance company. However, when she asked them to add me on the insurance policy, they simply refused saying that they will only accept Canadian driver's license. Is that how it works here?

I am asking because my experience in the US is a bit different. My wife moved to Canada before I did and got Canadian drivers license and my US insurance company didn't mind that she now has a Canadian driver's license. They said that even if she had a driver's license of another country (say India) they would have still kept her on my insurance policy since she is my spouse.
Different countries , thus different rules

Dec 26, 2022
Yes, this is how it works here.
You can work, for example, as a truck driver for 10 years in one country, then move to Canada, and until you get a Canadian license, you will not be allowed to work. They have the same attitude towards insurance.