+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian&Brit in UK - Express Entry vs Spousal Visa?

marigold99

Feb 19, 2017
Hi everyone, I've searched high and low and can't seem to find the answer so I'm coming to you experts! I'm a Canadian legally married to a Brit, we both live and work in the UK but want to move to Canada by 2018. He's never lived or worked there, I did my undergrad at UofToronto. We're both NOC 0 with Masters degrees from the UK. Neither of us has started looking for jobs in Canada. So, the questions I have for you are as follows:

-Should we be applying under Express Entry or Family Visa?
-If Family visa, does it matter that I'm not in Canada right now and won't be until we move there together?
-If Express Entry, how do employers look at this process. At what stage should he start looking for jobs (considering most jobs say you need work permission already)?
-Do we have a hope in hell of getting this processed before a hopeful move date of Dec 2017?

Happy to hear any advice! This seems WAY more complicated than my UK visa was to get! ???

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
marigold99 said:
Hi everyone, I've searched high and low and can't seem to find the answer so I'm coming to you experts! I'm a Canadian legally married to a Brit, we both live and work in the UK but want to move to Canada by 2018. He's never lived or worked there, I did my undergrad at UofToronto. We're both NOC 0 with Masters degrees from the UK. Neither of us has started looking for jobs in Canada. So, the questions I have for you are as follows:

-Should we be applying under Express Entry or Family Visa?
-If Family visa, does it matter that I'm not in Canada right now and won't be until we move there together?
-If Express Entry, how do employers look at this process. At what stage should he start looking for jobs (considering most jobs say you need work permission already)?
-Do we have a hope in hell of getting this processed before a hopeful move date of Dec 2017?

Happy to hear any advice! This seems WAY more complicated than my UK visa was to get! ???
Family Class Sponsorship.. As a Canadian citizen, you are permitted to sponsor your spouse while you are both in the UK. If you get started immediately, Dec might be possible. Express Entry would be pointless in your situation.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

You will be using the "outland" process, not the "Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada Class".

marigold99

Feb 19, 2017
Hi Zardoz,

Thanks so much for your prompt response, it's really helpful to hear your advice. Wondering if you can clarify why the Express Entry is pointless? Everytime we do the online questions at CIC website, it seems to point us towards Express Entry. Curious to know why you think it isn't right for us. Would it just take longer? Do we not quality? Or do you think we would just have a better shot as Family Class? Thanks for taking the time!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
marigold99 said:
Hi Zardoz,

Thanks so much for your prompt response, it's really helpful to hear your advice. Wondering if you can clarify why the Express Entry is pointless? Everytime we do the online questions at CIC website, it seems to point us towards Express Entry. Curious to know why you think it isn't right for us. Would it just take longer? Do we not quality? Or do you think we would just have a better shot as Family Class? Thanks for taking the time!
Family Class Sponsorship is SO much easier..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
marigold99 said:
Hi Zardoz,

EE is based on work experience, education, age, language etc. Before he could even put his name in the pool for EE, your spouse would be required to sit a recognized language test (no exception) and have his education assessed. He must have enough points to be competitive, I believe around 450 at the moment.

Spousal sponsorship is based on having a genuine relationship. No language test, no education assessment, no employment ref letters, no proof of funds, no competition etc. Easier.