+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian about to marry a British Citizen

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
I think you may be right, although I read on this forum that some members added their spouse to their work benefits before the spouse was a PR. Rob_TO I think posted something to that effect a while back.

Based on my experience and logic I think that even if some people added their non PR/resident/no provincial health care spouses to their work group policy it is likely that things like medication, dentist would have been covered as the benefit provider did not realize the spouse was not resident/no provincial health care.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Yes you can get on company work benefits even if you are not yet PR. Insurance companies don't care about your status in Canada. They are only interested in making sure you are on provincial health coverage in order to qualify employee's work benefits. The work health benefits are complement to provincial coverage since the benefits cover what provincial coverage doesn't cover.

It is like ordering bell or rogers. You can't order premium channels without getting basic cable. Same comparison. You can't get access to your spouse's work benefits until you get provincial coverage first.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MofC2014 said:
Additionaly if i can put in my 2 cents. Ontario and any other province that has this waiting period is just plain ridiculous!!!!!! I understand they make you wait if you move between provinces (as you can use AB health card in Ontario when you move lets say to Ontario and Ontario just bills Alberta during the first 3 months) but a new PR coming from another country should not be subject to this 3 months waiting period.
As for the 3 months wait to get on OHIP, I too think it's stupid. However I think this is done due to a high population in Ontario compared to other provinces. Historically everyone both PRs and Canadians have been immigrating to ontario for a long time. This is creating a hardship on ontario to cover OHIP cost. The 3 month wait I think help ease the strain a little since cross province coverage exist for 3 months moving some cost to other provinces and to ensure that new PRs actually live in ontario.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MofC2014 said:
I think you may be right, although I read on this forum that some members added their spouse to their work benefits before the spouse was a PR. Rob_TO I think posted something to that effect a while back.
Yes indeed, but in our case it was pure accidental.

At the time I became officially common-law with my partner, she didn't have OHIP. However I had absolutely no idea that OHIP was a requirement to get work benefits. So on the same day we became common-law I simply asked my HR department to add her as my common-law spouse/dependent to my work benefits that are done through SunLife. They said ok and she was added. In any forms I filled out, not once did I ever have to indicate that she did or didn't have OHIP. So she was added, and we immediately started using dental, eye care, RMT, chiro, etc etc.

I didn't find out about the OHIP requirement until we happened to go on a vacation, and she ended up using a small amount of travel medical insurance. Upon putting in the claim to SunLife after we returned, they mailed us a form asking for OHIP information (since OHIP will pay partial charges for out-of-country medical costs). So that's when I called them and asked a "hypothetical" question on if employees can add spouses without OHIP, and they said "no".

Anyways in the end I never mentioned anything for fear of getting back-charged for all the amounts she used. About 1 year later she actually got OHIP after becoming PR and the 3 month waiting period, so it's all good now.

daveyboy1978

Jan 21, 2014
Thanks everyone...sounds like we have a good discussion going here....but here's a curveball...

So, I was talking to an Immigration Consultant who recommended leaving Canada, then re-entering together. i.e.: if my wife (British) and I (Canadian) were both to leave Canada and get married in the US, then we'd re-enter Canada together. Since we are both crossing the border 'together', can we apply at the border/airport for in-Canada processing. Supposedly, in this case, she won't have a Visitors Record Document, but rather a Ministers Permit, entitling her to apply for an employment permit at the same time, while potentially eligible for medical. The main goal here is to get her work permit and medical faster...

Anyone done this before? Any recommendations?

daveyboy1978

Jan 21, 2014
Outland vs Inland

I know everyone is saying to do the Outland method, however I am a bit confused (this feels like it should be much easier)...here's why...

So, let's assume my fiancé comes on a trip from London and we get married in Canada.

Does she have to go back to London to get the process started on the Outland method? Or can she stay in Canada for the approx 6 months while everything is being sorted behind the scenes? If she has go back to London to start the process, does she have to stay there and not re-enter Canada until approved?

If she has to leave and is not allowed to re-enter, isn't it better to do the 'longer' inland method...at least we get to stay together...

Thoughts? Advice?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
daveyboy1978 said:
Thanks everyone...sounds like we have a good discussion going here....but here's a curveball...

So, I was talking to an Immigration Consultant who recommended leaving Canada, then re-entering together. i.e.: if my wife (British) and I (Canadian) were both to leave Canada and get married in the US, then we'd re-enter Canada together. Since we are both crossing the border 'together', can we apply at the border/airport for in-Canada processing. Supposedly, in this case, she won't have a Visitors Record Document, but rather a Ministers Permit, entitling her to apply for an employment permit at the same time, while potentially eligible for medical. The main goal here is to get her work permit and medical faster...

Anyone done this before? Any recommendations?
I have absolutely no idea where this consultant is, but avoid him like the plague for future reference. There is NOTHING of this sort available for sponsoring a spouse to move to Canada. She will not be treated any differently if you come back across together or separate.

I also see your second question and don't let the 'titles' of the applications fool you. To apply outland she can be in Canada with you, OR she can be in London, OR she can split her time between those two places and throw in Tahiti for a nice vacation. To apply inland she can be in Canada with you, OR she can be in Canada with you, OR she can still be in Canada with you. It is NOT recommended that she leave Canada for any reason with an ongoing Inland application. That is why you will find most people recommend the Outland process for a visa exempt individual such as your wife.

Once your wife enters Canada, whether she comes as a fiance or a spouse, you can indeed still file an Outland application and she can indeed stay with you. She is 'entitled' to stay for 6 months with no visa, about 1 month before that first 6 months is up, apply to extend her visitor status online. You should have filed your application by that point so let them know you are wanting her to stay for the duration of the application. As long as you are able to show proof of funds to support her for the duration of her stay, it should be fine and likely she will get at least 12 months more. Before that is expired she should have already landed as a PR.

daveyboy1978

Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your advice Allura (nice name btw)...

The point the Consultant was making was that if we entered together, she may be able to get a Work Permit sooner...that's all...

Just to clarify, once married, my wife can get the entire Outland process sorted without ever going back to London? i.e.: I was under the impression she had to leave Canada (go to London) and be there until she was approved (up to 6 months) ...and then enter Canada with her documents once everything was finalized.

Most have recommended doing the Outland method, and if she can stay in Canada the entire time until she is approved, it would be ideal.

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Alurra71 said:
I have absolutely no idea where this consultant is, but avoid him like the plague for future reference. There is NOTHING of this sort available for sponsoring a spouse to move to Canada. She will not be treated any differently if you come back across together or separate.

I also see your second question and don't let the 'titles' of the applications fool you. To apply outland she can be in Canada with you, OR she can be in London, OR she can split her time between those two places and throw in Tahiti for a nice vacation. To apply inland she can be in Canada with you, OR she can be in Canada with you, OR she can still be in Canada with you. It is NOT recommended that she leave Canada for any reason with an ongoing Inland application. That is why you will find most people recommend the Outland process for a visa exempt individual such as your wife.

Once your wife enters Canada, whether she comes as a fiance or a spouse, you can indeed still file an Outland application and she can indeed stay with you. She is 'entitled' to stay for 6 months with no visa, about 1 month before that first 6 months is up, apply to extend her visitor status online. You should have filed your application by that point so let them know you are wanting her to stay for the duration of the application. As long as you are able to show proof of funds to support her for the duration of her stay, it should be fine and likely she will get at least 12 months more. Before that is expired she should have already landed as a PR.
Don't know who the consultant is but take Alurra's advice and stay away from him/her LOL Seriously!!! I just searched to find information about a Minister's Permit and this is what I found "The Minister's Permit does not exist since the implementation of the new laws and regulations in June of 2003" haha

Ministers Permit was replaced with the Temporary Resident Permit, which has the same ability to admit a visitor to Canada who is otherwise considered inadmissible, which in any case would not apply to your wife.

And as for getting a work permit earlier because on how she enters, impossible. It doesn't matter if she comes with you or without. Her choices are to apply outland, come in as visitor and stay with you on visitor status, she can try to find an employer willing to do an LMO, but this is quite difficult these days.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
daveyboy1978 said:
Just to clarify, once married, my wife can get the entire Outland process sorted without ever going back to London? i.e.: I was under the impression she had to leave Canada (go to London) and be there until she was approved (up to 6 months) ...and then enter Canada with her documents once everything was finalized.
Yes, unless an interview is required.

Not sure if you saw my prior post (it was in the midst of all the discussion), so I'll copy it here for you:

OhCanadiana said:
Welcome, daveyboy1978!

Take a look at http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf. Note that there are special rules for spouses: keep reading past the 'visitors aren't eligible portion until you get to "In addition, certain non-permanent residents may be deemed residents and thus be considered eligible (e.g., many holders of study and work permits valid for six or more months and many applicants for permanent resident status who are the spouse or child of an eligible B.C. resident)." There's also a section on what documents to include with the application for spouses.

Regarding your prior question about working, you don't mention your fiancee's profession, so http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-nopermit.asp may help if you're very lucky. Also, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/work-volunteer.asp, while written for students, gives insight into how CIC thinks through volunteering (vs. "work, remunerated or not", "which competes with the Canadian labour market").

Applying 'outland' means she would apply requesting the London visa office for Phase 2 (you would still send the application first to CPC-M). She can do this whether she is physically in the UK or in Canada. The application forms are available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp. The alternative would be to apply once she is in Canada ('inland'), in which case she would need to stay in Canada throughout the application process (if she leaves and is denied reentry, her inland application would be deemed abandoned since she wouldn't be able to land in Canada, and thus she'd need to start over applying 'outland'). As a British citizen, the complete 'outland' is generally faster than Phase 1 alone for 'inland' applicants. You can do the whole process via mail (once approved, the London visa office) will mail her the CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residency) that she would use to land (either at a border if you drive down to the US and visit the US or 'flagpole' and turn right around or at an inland office). The risk of applying outland is that if an interview were necessary, it would be in London. Interviews are rare and typically requested if there are questions on genuineness of the relationship.

Where you get married doesn't matter for CIC purposes. As long as it is legally valid civil marriage, and the marriage is valid both under the laws of the jurisdiction where it took place and under Canadian law you will be fine. So, get married wherever YOU two prefer to do so.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
daveyboy1978 said:
The point the Consultant was making was that if we entered together, she may be able to get a Work Permit sooner...that's all...

Most have recommended doing the Outland method, and if she can stay in Canada the entire time until she is approved, it would be ideal.
I'm just gonna emphasize what the others said about STAYING AS FAR AWAY from that consultant as possible. S/he is giving you completely wrong advice.

And yes, she can stay in Canada the entire time the outland app is processed. When it's approved, she needs to leave Canada and re-enter; easiest way to do that is to make a run to the Canada-US border and flagpole.

daveyboy1978

Jan 21, 2014
So thanks again for everyone that has provided info in the past. We are now married and my now-wife is heading back to London where she will start her Outland Visa Application with our official marriage certificate and documents. She'll be back in Canada in a few months permanently...even if her visa hasn't been granted at that point. Some questions that have arisen:

1> when she applies for her visa, does she use her maiden name or married name? She will be changing her last name, however not sure what to use when applying.
2> Also, should she use my Canadian address for all correspondence, or her UK address?
3> As for timelines, any recent experience about how long it currently takes from starting the application to when she receives her visa?

Hope everyone is doing well and feel free to offer any other advice.

Cheers, Dave

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
daveyboy1978 said:
So thanks again for everyone that has provided info in the past. We are now married and my now-wife is heading back to London where she will start her Outland Visa Application with our official marriage certificate and documents. She'll be back in Canada in a few months permanently...even if her visa hasn't been granted at that point. Some questions that have arisen:

1> when she applies for her visa, does she use her maiden name or married name? She will be changing her last name, however not sure what to use when applying.
2> Also, should she use my Canadian address for all correspondence, or her UK address?
3> As for timelines, any recent experience about how long it currently takes from starting the application to when she receives her visa?
1. The name in her passport.
2. She should use whatever address she is actually at. She can change it later without issue.
3. Take a look at the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvI5l_hMO7UKdHc2LUJuZ2Itcld2Vk1WR25GeVZxYVE#gid=19

ladygrey

Apr 27, 2014
Would like some assistance as I don't know where to begin.
I am a Canadian citizen and my fiancé is going to be arriving in Canada so that we can get married in my Province. My wish is to then move to the United Kingdom to live with him permanently. I have visited him two times in the past year and we have know each other for over two years.
My question is - I've noticed on the UK Visa site - they have changed their Visa requirements - so i am at a loss to which one to apply for.
Can someone please help?
Thank you :)

apt2208

Star Member
Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-SEP-2013
File Transfer...
01-OCT-2013
Med's Done....
01-AUG-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
07-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
17-May-2014
ladygrey said:
Would like some assistance as I don't know where to begin.
I am a Canadian citizen and my fiancé is going to be arriving in Canada so that we can get married in my Province. My wish is to then move to the United Kingdom to live with him permanently. I have visited him two times in the past year and we have know each other for over two years.
My question is - I've noticed on the UK Visa site - they have changed their Visa requirements - so i am at a loss to which one to apply for.
Can someone please help?
Thank you :)
Did you follow the questionnaire in this link:

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk