+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian about to marry a British Citizen

ladygrey

Apr 27, 2014
I am becomming very discouraged...
I am trying to get there - but i see this?
Eligibility
You need to have been living in the UK with a ‘partner of a settled person’ visa for:

2 years if you applied for your visa before 9 July 2012
5 years or 10 years if you applied for your visa on or after 9 July 2012
Read the guidance for the 2-year route and the 5- and 10-year routes.

ladygrey

Apr 27, 2014
i believe it would be for a family of a settled person visa - the only thing is - proving you lived together for two years a little difficult. :(

apt2208

Star Member
Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-SEP-2013
File Transfer...
01-OCT-2013
Med's Done....
01-AUG-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
07-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
17-May-2014
try this...

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

the whole lived together for two years doesn't apply once your married:

Joining your partner

You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship.

You must be one of the following:

married or civil partners
living together in a relationship for 2 years
engaged to be married or to become civil partners

daveyboy1978

Jan 21, 2014
Another question...

So we are now married and the Visa application is in process (outland from UK). She is technically in Canada on a Visitor Visa and not working/no school/etc. We have planned to leave Canada to go on a honeymoon in the US this summer before her PR is approved. Is she allowed to leave Canada and re-enter?

Thanks in advance.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
daveyboy1978 said:
Another question...

So we are now married and the Visa application is in process (outland from UK). She is technically in Canada on a Visitor Visa and not working/no school/etc. We have planned to leave Canada to go on a honeymoon in the US this summer before her PR is approved. Is she allowed to leave Canada and re-enter?

Thanks in advance.
Yes she can leave Canada and re-enter Canada as it will have no effect on the outland PR application. She just got to convince the CSBA agents to let herself back in.

daveyboy1978

Jan 21, 2014
Thanks...that's what we figured.

I'm assuming the agents will be fine... has anyone been rejected entrance? And if so, what did you do?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
daveyboy1978 said:

I'm assuming the agents will be fine... has anyone been rejected entrance? And if so, what did you do?
Keep in mind that chances of refusal for a visa exempt country is rather low, much lower still if you were to travel together with her same time.

My wife was from a non-visa exempt country and she had no problem coming back in, I believe, on account that my 2 kids and I were with her when we entered. Makes it harder on the agent to deny my wife in with me and 2 kids with us and this was even before we started any PR application.

Screech339

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
daveyboy1978 said:

Visa-exempt people are rarely refused entry when they have a spousal sponsorship app processing. For the few that have been refused, it was usually because of their own mistakes, such as rocking up to the border with a UHaul full of all of their worldly belongings and saying they were moving to Canada.

Carry proof of the PR app (fee receipt or sponsor approval letter) and proof of funds. She should be fine

daveyboy1978

Jan 21, 2014
Couple of questions around 'life' in British Columbia while waiting for PR to be approved:

1> Medical - From what I understand, you need a SIN number to then get a Care Card, which then gives you access to a doctor, etc? What have people done to ensure they have medical coverage while waiting the several months to be approved?
2> Driving - from what I have read, British citizens are legally allowed to drive in Canada without a separate license... is this the case? Also, do I need to get additional car insurance if my wife will be driving my car? Are there any restrictions?
3> any other day-to-day things to consider?

Thanks for everyone for the responses...it has been invaluable.