+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Vs UK

Gulshan Grover

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
I have noticed Canada is expensive than UK. Am I right? If anyone has come from UK please share your experience. Also provide the best way to save money.

Thanks.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
We have been here for 3 months.....groceries is roughly the same, clothes are cheaper, cell phones are more expensive, car insurance is more expensive, utilities are about the same, rent is the same (depending on area obviously, I was on the south coast just outside of Brighton).
If you are willing to shop around you can get good deals on pretty much everything. We found a sofa we liked and waited for a sale so it was $800 cheaper, but we had to sit on deck furniture for 3 weeks!! Different foods are cheaper in different places and lots of stores offer loyalty cards/discounts which can save money too

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Just from holidaying in Britain, I'd say their food is twice the price it is in Canada. I haven't been back for two years, so maybe we are catching up as I have notice food prices in Canada have jumped recently.

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
Sorry folks i have different opinion. UK is much better than Canada in terms of purchasing power. Don't compare apples in Canada which are prices in $ to apples in UK which are priced in GBP. Based on my 2 years canadian and 6 years british experience, Canada is expensive if you take income effect into account. Someone earning GBP 1000 is earning around $1,600. Medical system way better than Canada, if you are in metro area in UK no need to buy your own car just rent one when you need one. clothing is expensive in UK but Top man, Debenhams, Shop Direct have excellent quality and can be compared to Banana republic or the bay and if you convert bay prices to TOP Man or debenhams you will end up with similar prices.

I left UK after I got my HSMP, PR process in UK is a nutshell, 5 year on WP or HSMP - if you lose job during this time you lost your time in UK- then 2 years on PR, then a year on for nationality app. so altogether 7-8 years. Whereas in Canada, I will be eligible for PR in next 2 years after my study period is taken into account. If you are on WP/HSMP or have PR for UK with good job don't bother to relocate.

its just my opinion, check your basket before making any decision.

Gulshan Grover

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
zulkfal said:
Sorry folks i have different opinion. UK is much better than Canada in terms of purchasing power. Don't compare apples in Canada which are prices in $ to apples in UK which are priced in GBP. Based on my 2 years canadian and 6 years british experience, Canada is expensive if you take income effect into account. Someone earning GBP 1000 is earning around $1,600. Medical system way better than Canada, if you are in metro area in UK no need to buy your own car just rent one when you need one. clothing is expensive in UK but Top man, Debenhams, Shop Direct have excellent quality and can be compared to Banana republic or the bay and if you convert bay prices to TOP Man or debenhams you will end up with similar prices.

I left UK after I got my HSMP, PR process in UK is a nutshell, 5 year on WP or HSMP - if you lose job during this time you lost your time in UK- then 2 years on PR, then a year on for nationality app. so altogether 7-8 years. Whereas in Canada, I will be eligible for PR in next 2 years after my study period is taken into account. If you are on WP/HSMP or have PR for UK with good job don't bother to relocate.

Yes I am 100% agreed with you.
1. Canada is expensive compared to UK.
2. UK is technologically more advanced compared to Canada.
3. Health and Safety in Canada is not as good as UK. All the time Canadian Govt put emphasis on WHMIS. If there is an electronics company what is the use of WHMIS? A very lack of risk analysis which should be done very often in the company.
4. Banking system is very expensive in Canada too. Most of the things are free in the UK.
5. While people drive cars on the road in Canada do not maintain any courtesy. In the Uk you will find 95% courtesy.
6. Customer service is not very good in Canada either. Only thing if you phone to your phone company or bank or go to the bank you will be served well. Apart from that rest of the placess have not got outstanding customer service. UK is superb regarding that aspects. Sorry to say these. But still I love Canada. No other choice.

zub2612

Jul 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Probably never.
In UK foreigners are not welcome any more. I have realised it many times that I have been treated differently and not greeted the same way as the white shop keeper would have greeted a white customer.
In Canada, I didn't feel racism at all. My opinion is that we should live where we are welcome. We shouldn't live in the UK when the natives of the country don't want us to be there. Everything else can be managed, but we shouldn't be unwanted guest at anyone's home.

paniz

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2009
Doc's Request.
26-03-2009
AOR Received.
05-05-2009
Med's Request
29-06-2009 & 23-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-07-2009 & 09-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
30-12-2010
LANDED..........
01-01-2011
zulkfal said:

%100 agree with you.
Canada is much much expensive vs UK.

Gulshan Grover

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
zub2612 said:
In UK foreigners are not welcome any more. I have realised it many times that I have been treated differently and not greeted the same way as the white shop keeper would have greeted a white customer.
In Canada, I didn't feel racism at all. My opinion is that we should live where we are welcome. We shouldn't live in the UK when the natives of the country don't want us to be there. Everything else can be managed, but we shouldn't be unwanted guest at anyone's home.
Not agreed with you. I was treated fairly all the time while I was in the UK. The most funny thing which I noticed english people (UK) do not like english people. All the time either they talk back or they have cold war. I was offered so many good positions in the company but because I got limited time visa which obstructed me to take that employment. The job post was offered by english Manager.

I never realised any rasism in the UK. Sorry I am not arguing. This is just my opinion.

One thing I must admit crime rate is higher in the UK compared to Canada. Life in Canada is more safe than UK. It is just like both sides of a coin.

zub2612

Jul 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Probably never.
Gulshan Grover said:
Not agreed with you. I was treated fairly all the time while I was in the UK. The most funny thing which I noticed english people (UK) do not like english people. All the time either they talk back or they have cold war. I was offered so many good positions in the company but because I got limited time visa which obstructed me to take that employment. The job post was offered by english Manager.

I never realised any rasism in the UK. Sorry I am not arguing. This is just my opinion.

One thing I must admit crime rate is higher in the UK compared to Canada. Life in Canada is more safe than UK. It is just like both sides of a coin.
Probably you been very very lucky or your have very unique set of skills..Or you were underpaid or something.. I am living here for 12 years and it has changed a lot. You are also lucky that you didn't had to face what I have.
I want to migrate to CA as I have strong feeling that we are not welcome in the UK any more. I lived in CA for two weeks only, but met loads of people and everyone told me that CA is much better and really a great country.
UK has closed HSMP programme. The government is proposing that there will be no PR for work permit holders. More than 90% of private colleges (who recruit international students) are going to be closed. Strange restrictions on family visas.
If I would be welcome here, I wouldn't try to migrate anywhere else. I just want to respect the feelings of native British people.

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
Gulshan Grover said:

I was treated fairly at my workplace, university, and shopping areas but faced race related comments some time in front of public. These are just hand full of wa**** and they exist every where.

Fairness only come to our mind when we are not treated fairly, I lived with asians in UK, France, Aus, Canada look and listen to the comments they hold for other races same applies in other races. Equal fairness can never be achieved but can be decreased in business life, no one can completely extract out race superiority from human being. Brits are not different as well.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Gulshan Grover said:
5. While people drive cars on the road in Canada do not maintain any courtesy. In the Uk you will find 95% courtesy.
Where abouts were you in the UK? I hated driving over there which is why I never took my driving test. Driving in Canada is lovely - except in parking lots when everyone seems to get a bit crazy!!

6. Customer service is not very good in Canada either. Only thing if you phone to your phone company or bank or go to the bank you will be served well. Apart from that rest of the placess have not got outstanding customer service. UK is superb regarding that aspects.
I'm thinking that the South Coast wasn't the best place to live based on your comments, I could barely get a smile out of most service staff, especially in supermarkets and I worked in a customer service environment for 12 years so I know how easy it is to be nice....I just very rarely met others with the same opinion. Don't get me wrong, I loved living in the UK but I got so frustrated with rude people all the time.

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
zulkfal ... can i ask you something about UK processing?

i've heard it's 2 years of HSMP then 3 years of extended-HSMP, then 1 year of PR b4 you can apply for a passport

how do you match this timeline with yours? (or maybe the rules have changed since you left UK)

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
1- In UK natives specially Britishers are racist whereas in Canada you won't find this thing.
2- UK is more conjusted as compared to Canada.
3- Canada is growing economy & more job opportunities as compare to UK.
4- To get UK passport you need 7-8 years whereas in Canada you can get passport in just 4 years.
5- In UK cost of living is higher than canada.
6- Canada is one of the richest countries in the world. The per capita income is remarkably high and it is a distinguished member of the Group of Eight (G8) as well as the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). The economy is basically a free market and the government tends to apply statutes and policies less strict compared to the United Kingdom.

7- The cost of living in Toronto is 30 percent lower than in London, UK.
8- The cost of living in Vancouver is 12 percent lower than in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
9- The cost of living in Canada's capital, Ottawa, is 5 percent lower than in Glasgow, UK.

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
Gulshan Grover said:
Yes I am 100% agreed with you.
1. Canada is expensive compared to UK.
2. UK is technologically more advanced compared to Canada.
3. Health and Safety in Canada is not as good as UK. All the time Canadian Govt put emphasis on WHMIS. If there is an electronics company what is the use of WHMIS? A very lack of risk analysis which should be done very often in the company.
4. Banking system is very expensive in Canada too. Most of the things are free in the UK.
6. Customer service is not very good in Canada either. Only thing if you phone to your phone company or bank or go to the bank you will be served well. Apart from that rest of the placess have not got outstanding customer service. UK is superb regarding that aspects. Sorry to say these. But still I love Canada. No other choice.
Whereas you might be right regarding expense (I guess we'll discover that when we get there)....

UK 95% courtesy on the roads??? Have I been living in some kind of virtual fantasy UK for the past 38 years and not the real one then? :)

6. Customer service is not very good in Canada either.

My experience so far of Canada (admittedly just from two 2 week holidays) is that the customer service is wayyyyyy better than the miserable service you get here in the UK.

I guess it's all about personal perspective though! :)

Wayne.

sanity

Jun 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12th July 2011
IELTS Request
Interesting to read the comments and see everyone's perspective - I have lived in the UK and have not been to Canada so cannot compare but from my experience, UK is a good place to live with its ups and downs - I think the grass is always greener on the other side !

Sanity