+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada vs. Australia

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Hey everyone,

Me and my wife decided to immigrate to Canada and started work on it two months ago. Now we are in a position that we can fill our EE profile as skilled workers. But it seems getting out from the pool without a job offer is almost impossible (It seems we will have around 420 points). And LMIA makes it even harder.

At this point, we started to consider applying for Australia, instead of Canada. Obivously the whole process will take more time, but as far as I see it is much more possible than being chosen from the EE pool.

What do you think? Considering that we plan to move until the end of 2016, which choice would be wiser in your opinion?

Thanks everyone.

Sreeni01

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-March-2015
Nomination.....
28-August-2015
AOR Received.
17-October-2015
Med's Done....
19-October-2015
mhbin said:
Hey everyone,

Me and my wife decided to immigrate to Canada and started work on it two months ago. Now we are in a position that we can fill our EE profile as skilled workers. But it seems getting out from the pool without a job offer is almost impossible (It seems we will have around 420 points). And LMIA makes it even harder.

At this point, we started to consider applying for Australia, instead of Canada. Obivously the whole process will take more time, but as far as I see it is much more possible than being chosen from the EE pool.

What do you think? Considering that we plan to move until the end of 2016, which choice would be wiser in your opinion?

Thanks everyone.
Hi Mhbin,

Last draw cutt off was 481, if your CRS is 420 I hope you will get picked in next 3 draws.

Who knows you may also be the lucky person to get PNP nomination or Jon Offer as soon as u enter the pool.

And its again according to your profession and preference.

Check the scope of yours and your wife's profile in Australia and Canada.

Getting PR is not the destination....After getting PR you must get in and survive in Canada or Aussi with a job.

So make a study of the scope and benefits, discuss with your wife and decide the place. Then apply for PR.

As we are spending a lot for all this process... Analyse and decide.

There is no point in regretting later.

Regards,
Sreeni01

sumit.singh.hallan

Jan 2, 2015
Gurgaon, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
EE Profile Created - 20-01-2015
Nomination.....
18-12-2015
IELTS Request
Completed. L-9.0 , R-8.5, W-7.0, S-7.0
LANDED..........
Pretty soon
Come on dude. Wait for next three months.

You will get an ITA. 420 is a decent score.

Mine is 435 and Iexpect to get ITA in next 2-3 draws.

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
sumit.singh.hallan said:
Come on dude. Wait for next three months.

You will get an ITA. 420 is a decent score.

Mine is 435 and Iexpect to get ITA in next 2-3 draws.
Why not apply for BOTH Australia and Canada?

Australia probably has more racial discrimination than Canada.

Notice that you do not know the number of people between 420 and 481. However, there is a good chance if your score is above 400.

jrgongon

Feb 2, 2015
Philippines
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi...same scenario with my family with a different twist...at first we want to give up on canada due to the high cut off but after the last draw everything has changed and we are considering canada again. before we want to give up and file for australia but that would be a different scenario since the only thing that will be credited is the ielts and the eca won't bear anything in australia and the so called skills assessment will be needed instead of eca which would bring us additional cost roughly a thousand dollars. we were in a dilema since canada has an unbearable weather but since we have a friend in canada that are willing to help in our start up stage we might consider pursuing canada, while in australia our profession is likely in demand and finding a job there might not be difficult compare in finding in canada but the problem is we dont have any friends there that are willing to help us when we arrive...if you are in my shoe...what would you consider? thanks...just a little tips and guidance here...

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
jrgongon said:
hi...same scenario with my family with a different twist...at first we want to give up on canada due to the high cut off but after the last draw everything has changed and we are considering canada again. before we want to give up and file for australia but that would be a different scenario since the only thing that will be credited is the ielts and the eca won't bear anything in australia and the so called skills assessment will be needed instead of eca which would bring us additional cost roughly a thousand dollars. we were in a dilema since canada has an unbearable weather but since we have a friend in canada that are willing to help in our start up stage we might consider pursuing canada, while in australia our profession is likely in demand and finding a job there might not be difficult compare in finding in canada but the problem is we dont have any friends there that are willing to help us when we arrive...if you are in my shoe...what would you consider? thanks...just a little tips and guidance here...
Many people are having the problem of securing a job in Canada. I don't know too much about Australia but Canadian economy has not been good in the past 20 years. Many immigrants work in jobs that are below their ability.

Your story also speaks to the problem that many immigrants do not realise until they get settle down in Canada.

In addition, Canada has unbearable weather all over the country with the exception of Vancouver and nearby areas (and as a result, these areas are highly populated with poor job opportunity).

Are you actually sure that you can easily find a job in Australia if you immigrate there? Having a job and having enough money to survive is important to life satisfaction.

You are a civil engineer (NOC 2131) and still have problems getting a job in Canada? Your opportunities are actually better than many people's.

navi1784

Mar 22, 2015
Specialmary..I am having around 6 years experience in the Investment domain (investment banking,stock market etc) with some good academic qualification. What is my chance of getting a job in Canada, any clue?

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Vancouver was our dream and only aim. But as you said specialmary, that is also the exact reason why it is very hard to find a decent job there easily.

On the other hand, trying both will be very expensive. Applying for Australia is significantly more expensive than Canada and, as jrgongon stated, you have to prepare every document from scratch since they will only accept IELTS records.

In general, Australia's economy and weather conditions are much better than Canada, but we are already prepared to apply for Canada and Vancouver has always been our dream.

This is very hard and important decision, and to be honest, I am still not sure what to do.

Ozzymechanic

Star Member
Mar 6, 2015
I wouldn't head to Australia with the mind set that the economy is booming.... It has been declining for the past 2 years, which is why I'm in Canada on a work permit and applying for PR

SnakePlissken

Star Member
Apr 26, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Feb-10-2018
AOR Received.
Mar-20-2018
As far as weather goes, Vancouver is probably the best in Canada. I love the city and the weather, having lived there for 3+ years. In my case though, i was forced to move out in search of better opportunities. My two cents, if you wish to immigrate to Canada, do come with an open mind and be prepared to move if necessary, or best do your research on availability of jobs before you plan your move, based on your skills and not the weather. If weather is a major concern, probably Canada may not be the right place for you and your family.

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
on-hold said:
Don't ask this question in late March, no one's in the mood to think about Australia now.
Sorry but, I didn't understand this.

SnakePlissken, it seems finding a suitable job before moving is the key here. It will be harder, but still better than moving blindly.

It will be a little off-topic but any other cities would you suggest similar to Vancouver? Probably I should stick with British Columbia, but I'm not sure.

SnakePlissken

Star Member
Apr 26, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Feb-10-2018
AOR Received.
Mar-20-2018
Edmonton and Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax, Toronto, Montreal are major cities but none similar to Vancouver in terms of weather. Toronto is the biggest and most populated city (has its own problems because of that) and have more opportunities, but again it depends on the type of jobs you are looking for. Suggest you to go through all the provincial websites. Each province in Canada has their own website that gives you information about job opportunities, housing, living conditions and standards etc.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
The thing that you have to remember about Vancouver is that it is extremely expensive to live there -- or to move there in middle age, when you are not selling a house that can go into a new down payment. If you are a typical immigrant, coming with 30,000 - 50,000 in Canadian money and no job, you won't be buying a house within 2 hours of the city. Jobs are hard to find there, even survival jobs. Rent is expensive -- you will spend a lot of money to rent a small suite, where you are essentially living in someone's basement. Why? Because no one will rent you an apartment if you don't have a job and have no credit. The survival job that you find eventually won't be enough to pay the rent, and your funds will slowly decrease.

Of course, this is variable depending upon your specialization. No doubt some professions will have an easier time of it -- but this is the average, so to speak. A few months ago I would have advised you to come to Alberta first, establish yourself here, and then move to Vancouver when you are settled, and able to find a job at your leisure. Now, if you're determined to move to BC, I'd recommend a place like Kelowna or Prince George, where you can get established and manage a within-province move later.

Peachpanda

Nov 1, 2015
Hello Mhbin,

I read your posts recently. I am in the same situation as you were in March this year. The thing is me and my husband have been planing to migrate to canada or australia but are facing extreme dilemas. We have family and friends in canada but canada's new express entry system and economy looks grim. We have collected all our documents and can apply for australia and canada. My husband might score 370 or 400 for canada (according to the assessment i did myslef keeping in mind the points system mentioned in canada's website). Since january i have been tracking the pool and reading stuff. Out of the 22 draws this year, even in the 19th draw the lowest score to recieve ITA was 450. You had the similiar problem earlier. Could you please help me out here? I would really appreciate if you could tell me your status. Did you apply for canada? If you did ,how much was your score and did you recieve the ITA yet? or were you selected by some province or something? Because we need to apply by the end of this month ( as by looking at the strict rules, it already seems we are too late) so please update me. Thank you!