+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada visitor visa refusal

anmolwassan

Jun 17, 2017
Hi everyone!
I am a first year college student from India. I got the opportunity to attend a 5 day conference at Canada in August. The company inviting me will be paying all the expenses which includes travel airfare, accommodation, food etc. I attached the invitation letter for the same. I applied for Canada TRV but was refused on the following grounds:

1) Travel History
2) Employment prospects in the country of residence
3) Current employment situation
4) Lack of sufficient funds

To speak about the above points, I'd like to mention:

Travel History: I have been to Italy once as a visitor and returned within the dates of visa.
Employment prospects and current employment situation: I presented a proof of enrollment and NOC from college.
Lack of funds: I added a letter of support from my parents and presented their bank statements and Income tax returns which showed around $2000 CAD. While my trip was totally funded by company, I won't require much money on my own. I also presented return ticket booking and hotel accommodation.

Some other info:
1) I demanded 3 days extra after my conference for sightseeing purposes at Toronto. (Definitely not gonna do now).
2) In the application form, they asked me Purpose of travel and I selected Other and gave the reason Attending conference.
3) The letter of support was just a simple letter printed and signed, therefore with no legal validity.
4) I provided the proof of assets as a land owned jointly by my mother and my aunt and the asset documents were totally in Hindi.
5) I provided a cover letter.
6) I applied online.

Now, I have 2 months before my travel and I wish to re-apply. Please suggest me what I should include/not include in my future application to make it successful.

P.S: Now, I will apply offline.

Thank you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

It's unusual for a company to give a first-year India student the opportunity to attend a fully-paid conference visit to Canada. Did you include an explanation + proofs to explain how/why you landed this opportunity?

What documents did the company provide?
Were these documents on business stationery?
Did the company pay for the airfare + hotel? If yes, did you include evidence for this?
What documents did you submit for the conference event?
Do you work, either part-time or volunteering in a company/institute?
Is this conference connected to your current academics?

Cheers

Last edited:

anmolwassan

Jun 17, 2017
Hello,
I have been to its previous conference in Italy and, I was a high-school student at that time.
Well, I didn't include any such explanation or proof that proves how/why I landed this opportunity.

1) The company provided me with the invitation letter stating the details about me and the expenses they will be covering, duration of the visit, purpose of the visit etc.
2) The invitation letter was on the letterhead of the company duly signed.
3) Yes, the company paid for the return airfare and hotel. I included the travel itinerary and hotel itinerary provided by the company for the same.
4) I submitted the Eventbrite ticket confirming my presence at the event.
5) I volunteer for the company. All the invitees to the conference volunteer.
6) Sort of. I am majoring in computer science and I intend to take part at Hackathon there.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Great. That sounds impressive, congrats. Now write all that in a nice letter for your next application.

Hello,
I have been to its previous conference in Italy and, I was a high-school student at that time.
Well, I didn't include any such explanation or proof that proves how/why I landed this opportunity.

1) The company provided me with the invitation letter stating the details about me and the expenses they will be covering, duration of the visit, purpose of the visit etc.
2) The invitation letter was on the letterhead of the company duly signed.
3) Yes, the company paid for the return airfare and hotel. I included the travel itinerary and hotel itinerary provided by the company for the same.
4) I submitted the Eventbrite ticket confirming my presence at the event.
5) I volunteer for the company. All the invitees to the conference volunteer.
6) Sort of. I am majoring in computer science and I intend to take part at Hackathon there.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Refusal reason: Employment prospects and current employment situation
This is one of the main reasons for the TRV refusal.

IRCC has concerns that your qualifications and/or volunteer experience has limited employment prospects in India = you are likely to seek employment in Canada, or even work illegally during your visit.

Refusal reason: Current employment situation
Another main reason. IRCC also has concerns that your volunteer work is actually employment.

If your employer (volunteer work) has a significant employer presence in Canada/North America then you must work harder to prove that you won't be working illegally and/or will not seek employment.

You must provide evidence that:
1. You actually volunteer + you are only a student, and the volunteer work is during your free time + unpaid (you can include a letter from your India employer that says this + other similar supporting documents)

2. How/why you were selected for the Hackathon

3. The conference you are attending is not work

4. Why you won't seek employment. Here's where your strong ties to India come in = study ties, any scheduled exams, tuition fee receipts for the next academic year, previous year's transcripts/mark sheet, etc

5. Strong financial situation even as a dependent on your parents, etc.

BTW CAD 2,000 is on the very low side even though all your expenses will be covered by your employer + Land owned by your mom and aunt cannot be shown as a reason for you to return to India.

6. Purpose of your previous visit to Italy, including evidence that it was fully-paid for by the same employer

Cheers

anmolwassan

Jun 17, 2017
Hi,

IRCC has concerns that your qualifications and/or volunteer experience has limited employment prospects in India = you are likely to seek employment in Canada, or even work illegally during your visit.

Another main reason. IRCC also has concerns that your volunteer work is actually employment.

If your employer (volunteer work) has a significant employer presence in Canada/North America then you must work harder to prove that you won't be working illegally and/or will not seek employment.

1. You actually volunteer + you are only a student, and the volunteer work is during your free time + unpaid (you can include a letter from your India employer that says this + other similar supporting documents)

4. Why you won't seek employment. Here's where your strong ties to India come in = study ties, any scheduled exams, tuition fee receipts for the next academic year, previous year's transcripts/mark sheet, etc

BTW CAD 2,000 is on the very low side even though all your expenses will be covered by your employer + Land owned by your mom and aunt cannot be shown as a reason for you to return to India.

6. Purpose of your previous visit to Italy, including evidence that it was fully-paid for by the same employer

Cheers
Thanks a lot! I will consider these points in mind before re-applying. Just one more question. Should I write in my cover letter that I applied previously for the same case and was denied and mention the UCI number with it. Also, can I respond to the grounds on which I was refused previously in my new cover letter and try to convince them?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks a lot! I will consider these points in mind before re-applying. Just one more question. Should I write in my cover letter that I applied previously for the same case and was denied and mention the UCI number with it. Also, can I respond to the grounds on which I was refused previously in my new cover letter and try to convince them?
Yes, you must.

Failure to declare visa refusals for any country (not just for Canada) can result in a 5-years ban for misrepresentation. You must also declare this TRV refusal in Question 2 of the 'Background Information' section of the application form.

Finally, what will work is hard evidence backed by explanations, and not just explanations

anmolwassan

Jun 17, 2017
Yes, you must.

Failure to declare visa refusals for any country (not just for Canada) can result in a 5-years ban for misrepresentation. You must also declare this TRV refusal in Question 2 of the 'Background Information' section of the application form.

Finally, what will work is hard evidence backed by explanations, and not just explanations
Thanks once again! I will consider all the points mentioned above and re-apply and will post here the updates.

anmolwassan

Jun 17, 2017
Hi,

Cheers
Hi,

Could you suggest me the category on which I should apply? Should it be tourist or business?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Could you suggest me the category on which I should apply? Should it be tourist or business?
You will be applying for a Business TRV.

Do ensure you provide all supporting documents from your sponsor + conference organizers..... in addition to the other documents which I have suggested