Waived
Passport Req..
18th March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Should be in April 2015
LANDED..........
Mostly in June 2015
Hello,
I have few questions. please help me if you have any idea on this.

My wife is going to Canada on a student visa for 2 yrs course. we have US visit visa. I am applying for Canada visit visa after 2 months.

what are the chances of visa approval as I have US visit visa? will it help?

If I get visa, will it be for 3 months or 6 months?

Can I apply for Open work permit based on spouse student visa once I land in Canada on a visit visa? what are the chances of approval of open work permit? what if my visit visa expires and open work permit is still under progress? will I have to leave country?

Your guidance will be much appreciated.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Jig nesh, I don't know why, but something is making me think you should apply for the open work permit at the same time your wife gets her study permit. I have no experience with study permits, but that came to my mind as soon as I read your post. Are you both visiting the US right now? If so, applying for a TRV from a country other than your home country might make it harder to convince the VO you will return home before the end of the visa. Maybe this is why I am thinking about getting the open work permit up front. Hope someone can come up with a concrete solution for you. Good Luck.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-immigration-open-work-permits.html
To be eligible for an Open Work Permit, the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student cannot themselves be full-time students and must demonstrate that:
the foreign student is studying full-time at a diploma/degree-granting, publicly-funded post-secondary educational facility; or
the foreign student has graduated and is the holder of a valid work permit for a job related to his/her studies.

For spouses and common-law partners, Open Work Permits are generally issued with a validity date that coincides with the period of time that their spouse is permitted to work or study in Canada, as the case may be.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Looks like this could be an interesting thread to read as well.....
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/open-work-permit-for-spouse-under-post-grad-work-permit-t81187.0.html

jig nesh

Jan 3, 2012
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-July-2014
Nomination.....
PER on 20th November
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Request
5th Feb 2015
Med's Done....
11th Feb 2015. Medical Received: 19th Feb 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18th March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Should be in April 2015
LANDED..........
Mostly in June 2015
Thank you, the post is quite informative but I want to know visit visa will be of 3 months or 6 months? Will I have enough time to apply for Open work permit once I land on visit visa? what are the chances of open work permit approval when I am in Canada on a visit visa?

Kindly help me.