+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada-US Trips !

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys !

My basic residence days are complete, but since my husband lives in US and his PR application is still in progress, I go to visit him on weekends by land. We are almost an hour away, so I've also visited him for like a day on weekdays too.
The thing is, I want to file for m citizenship too, as after his PR, we are planning live in US for a few months until he finds a job in Canada. I would still be commuting to work in Canada ( just cross the border daily).
Now I do not have the exact dates I visited, plus I was hoping if I show like 1 days out of canada every weekend instead of two. I enter US Saturday, drive back Monday morning (cross via NEXUS) so that makes it two days...
Anyway I could avoid certain days of my visit to US, so I can speed up my progress to physical presence days. I work in Canada, and have my residence here.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sparkle said:
Hey Guys !

My basic residence days are complete, but since my husband lives in US and his PR application is still in progress, I go to visit him on weekends by land. We are almost an hour away, so I've also visited him for like a day on weekdays too.
The thing is, I want to file for m citizenship too, as after his PR, we are planning live in US for a few months until he finds a job in Canada. I would still be commuting to work in Canada ( just cross the border daily).
Now I do not have the exact dates I visited, plus I was hoping if I show like 1 days out of canada every weekend instead of two. I enter US Saturday, drive back Monday morning (cross via NEXUS) so that makes it two days...
Anyway I could avoid certain days of my visit to US, so I can speed up my progress to physical presence days. I work in Canada, and have my residence here.

Counts as 2 days. Ensure you have over 1095 days when you apply, as if you get a Residence Questionaire you can add another year to the process.

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can't put in the exact dates when I was in US...but if I put an approximate number, I complete 1110 days by Nov end..which is just 5 days over the required number. I am thinking of applying that very moment. Also, what are the chances of getting RQ ? I may not put in the exact number of days outside Canada in US. So do they have a way to check that ? I don't want a mistake on my end...and then them noticing different information and causing a delay !

Also, I called CIC...the first lady told me that as long as I am not outside Canada for more than 24 hours...I don't need to count it as a day. So, if I come back the next morning to work in Canada, it's not a day outside Canada....but I wasn't sure if she gave me proper information. So I called again, and then the next lady told me that it's the calender day....:(

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sparkle said:
I can't put in the exact dates when I was in US...but if I put an approximate number, I complete 1110 days by Nov end..which is just 5 days over the required number. I am thinking of applying that very moment. Also, what are the chances of getting RQ ? I may not put in the exact number of days outside Canada in US. So do they have a way to check that ? I don't want a mistake on my end...and then them noticing different information and causing a delay !

Also, I called CIC...the first lady told me that as long as I am not outside Canada for more than 24 hours...I don't need to count it as a day. So, if I come back the next morning to work in Canada, it's not a day outside Canada....but I wasn't sure if she gave me proper information. So I called again, and then the next lady told me that it's the calender day....:(
1. Yes CIC can check it through the US on your entries if they are so inclined.
2. The person at the call Centre was wrong. You count the nights (where you lay your head) as out of Canada.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you leave Canada and come back the same day, you do not have to declare an absence.

See Q4 under Section A in the link http://services3.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do;jsessionid=2FBF1F2FB1D8BCACB0BCC86B3143D940?redir=faq#PP

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let's say a person leaves Canada Saturday morning at 12:30 am. The person returns to Canada on Sunday, the next day, at 10:00 pm. My understanding is that this would not count as an absence from Canada at all, since any portion of a day spent in Canada counts as a full day in Canada. Is this wrong?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PommeDeRoute said:
Let's say a person leaves Canada Saturday morning at 12:30 am. The person returns to Canada on Sunday, the next day, at 10:00 pm. My understanding is that this would not count as an absence from Canada at all, since any portion of a day spent in Canada counts as a full day in Canada. Is this wrong?
Yes, it is wrong. One days absence.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PommeDeRoute said:
In this case you can only take credit for a day and not both. So this will count as just one day present.

Excerpt from CIC website: http://services3.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do;jsessionid=2FBF1F2FB1D8BCACB0BCC86B3143D940?redir=faq#PP

When calculating an absence, either the day you leave Canada or the day you return is considered an absence, but not both. For example, an absence between July 1, 2003 and July 15, 2003 equals 14 days of absence.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
PommeDeRoute said:
Maybe you are thinking of counting days for residency, PDR? For citizenship the counting rules are different....wouldn't you just know it can't be the same simple rule ???

A