+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada US land border questions

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I did my first Canada-US road border crossing as a citizen. Is it normal for the US side to probe ones reason for short visit?

And on return is it normal for the Canadian side to ask why you visited the US and how long you were away for? I found that to be concerning as I’m re-entering my own country and shouldn’t have to explain why I went. There would be no questions by plane. I was finally asked if I have purchased anything taxable, but that's the only question I see as being valid.

Please advise me on my rights and obligations at the border as a Canadian citizen.

Sandra84

Star Member
Oct 12, 2018
Canada
I did my first Canada-US road border crossing as a citizen. Is it normal for the US side to probe ones reason for short visit?

And on return is it normal for the Canadian side to ask why you visited the US and how long you were away for? I found that to be concerning as I’m re-entering my own country and shouldn’t have to explain why I went. There would be no questions by plane. I was finally asked if I have purchased anything taxable, but that's the only question I see as being valid.

Please advise me on my rights and obligations at the border as a Canadian citizen.
Yes it is very normal. All the times I travelled via land with Canadians that were born and bred here, they were questioned by American and Canadian side. Also remember that the Canadian side needs to determine if you're bringing in goods for tax/duty purposes so they have to know how long you're away for because it determines how much worth of stuff you can bring in (cos it varies by number of days). Hope this helps.

Reactions: becca545 and YVR123

RedWhiteRed

Star Member
Apr 4, 2023
I crossed the road border as a citizen for the first time a couple of weeks back. The US side asked me the purpose of my visit and whether I had anything to declare. They also asked me questions about my history in the US (I lived there for over 5 years). I guess it's to verify that it's the same person but with a different passport.

On the Canadian side, I was asked where I live, whether I went to the US for business or pleasure, and whether I had anything to declare.

I don't think the questions on either side were out of the ordinary or unjustified. The question about your purpose of visit could be to ascertain indirectly if you have anything to declare. This would lead up to the more direct question. In all likelihood, these questions are related to customs, not immigration. I don't have any issues with that.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for the input.

I can appreciate if the questions relate to customs (on the Canadian side). But it would make sense to me to for them to ask directly if you've bought anything and then if applicable, ask how long you've been away to determine your tax free allowance.

I felt the line of questioning returning to Canada less friendly than the smiles and "welcome back" you get at an airport.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the input.

I can appreciate if the questions relate to customs (on the Canadian side). But it would make sense to me to for them to ask directly if you've bought anything and then if applicable, ask how long you've been away to determine your tax free allowance.

I felt the line of questioning returning to Canada less friendly than the smiles and "welcome back" you get at an airport.
Those are normal questions. There are a lot more people who tried to buy goods from the US via the land border and try NOT to report them to avoid tax. I think that's why the land border is less "friendly" by asking you the purpose of your trip and how long you've stayed.

I used to cross the land borders daily for a few years. These questions were asked every time I crossed the border.

Reactions: johnjkjk

RedWhiteRed

Star Member
Apr 4, 2023
That might just be the officer you got. The gentleman I interacted with at the booth was all smiles and very jovial. This was at the Ambassador Bridge (Windsor-Detroit).

somak2001

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
I am planning to cross the land border for the first time next weekend. Even, I assumed it's gonna be all friendly and easy.

Now, I will be prepared for questions and rude behavior!

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I am planning to cross the land border for the first time next weekend. Even, I assumed it's gonna be all friendly and easy.

Now, I will be prepared for questions and rude behavior!
It wasn't rude as much as not friendly on the Canadian side but I was more concerned about why they would ask the nature of my visit to the US.

To be fair it could have been the officer in question. On the way out, the cbsa were very helpful to give me a card detailing the goods I'm carrying so that I wouldn't be taxed on my own stuff on return, and they even warned me to be prepared to be grilled at the us side.

I entered the US twice and the first time the guy was friendly and he second it was an inquisition which made me fumble and he had to ask me to slow down.