+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada TRV at LA consulate: No response for 1 month

freeguy

Jul 28, 2012
I have applied for a TRV visa from LA consulate on July 3rd and I have not heard back from them yet (yes, they wouldnt respond to emails, fax etc). I have travel arrangements made to Canada on Aug 9th. How long is the processing taking? Should I walk into the consulate and find the status? Has anyone done this? I am a citizen of India and currently in USA on visitor visa. PLEASE let me know.

Espica

Jul 30, 2012
I sent my stuff in June 13 and I still have not received anything or any responses to faxes and emails. Good luck! If you find anything out pleaae let me know. I also have to be to Canada next month!

freeguy

Jul 28, 2012
So what are our options? Just wait patiently, cancel the trip, lose the money on airline and hotel reservations? I went ahead and booked the tickets because the processing time indicated 14 days. wOULD it help if I walk in? Has anyone done this at all?

Thanks

Bhaskararao

Aug 2, 2012
Applied for TRV on 25June 2012. Received by LA office on 26 June 2012. Email sent on 25th July was replied by them on 30 th July. It was a generalised reply stating that it may take 30 to 45 days based on the statistics till end March 2012.They gave file number reference.However Visa issued on 1 Aug 2012, less than 30 working days from 26th June.Thanks to LA office .
Bhaskararao

freeguy

Jul 28, 2012
Good to hear that they actually respond to emails. Did you send only one email or several emails? The visa was approved on August 1st so you are still waiting for the passport, is that correct?

Not sure what i should do as the travel is on Aug 9th. If I or one of my friends stop by at the consulate, will they respond?

smartsmt

Aug 2, 2012
Not sure what the situation is in the LA consulate. In the NYC consulate it seems that there's no such walk-in things. As I said in my post, I'll probably have a try during the picking-up hours but I'm not sure whether that's gonna work... I really don't know what they are thinking about... How can I try to illegally stay in Canada while I'm here in the US????

Bhaskararao

Aug 2, 2012
I sent only one email on 25th July and reply received on 30th July giving general guide lines and they said" if I require passport they can return it and cancel the application and I can apply again later".
Visa stamped on 1 Aug .Passport received on 2nd August.
Bhaskararao

Dollar555

Aug 7, 2012
Bhaskararao,
After you got the email with application number, can you check your application with your application number?
I got the same email too. But I don't know how to check it on line.

Please advise

Thanks

Bhaskararao

Aug 2, 2012
Dollar555 said:
Bhaskararao,
After you got the email with application number, can you check your application with your application number?
I got the same email too. But I don't know how to check it on line.

Please advise

Thanks
I tried to check after getting the file numbers. But the system apparently does not provide the status of TRVs. For other categories like permanant , probably it shows.

freeguy

Jul 28, 2012
When did you get the application number in email? Does that mean they touched your application and that it will be processed soon? I received an email asking for applicants full name and DOB but there was no application number in it.

rahuljain0485

Aug 4, 2012
freeguy said:
When did you get the application number in email? Does that mean they touched your application and that it will be processed soon? I received an email asking for applicants full name and DOB but there was no application number in it.
Hi Freeguy,
I am also in same boat.
I have my flight and hotel bookings done for 24th Aug and my application was received only today by Detriot consulate.
I do not know if i would be able to receive the passport and visa back by 23rd Aug.

I know i was misguided by the information on there website which said 14 days.

I am reading lot of comment on this forum that the application is pending with consulate for more than 30-35 days.
So I am losing hope that i will receive the passport back in time by mail.

What is the option you are thinking.
Let me know if walk-in to the consulate helps to get the passport back.

kumarak

Aug 10, 2012
hi Bhaskararao,

Could you please let me know if on Aug 1st, they sent you any email or communication saying visa approved before you received the passports?

Appreciate your response!

freeguy

Jul 28, 2012
I wanted to give a quick update on my status. I did not get my visa in the desired time frame (that is, before Aug 9th). I started sending out emails from Aug 1st to the consulate. I did not receive any responses until Aug 7th. They asked for the applicants name and DOB and after that I received the file number. The file number does not really help as there is no way of checking the status online with the file number. I then decided to go in person on the Aug 9th, the same day as the travel the evening of Aug 9th. I informed the consulate that I will be walking in person on the 9th and hoping to get a visa in hand. I did not get any response to the message. I still decided to go in person, and luckily I did get the visa the same day and we completed our travel as planned. I hope no one has to wait till the last moment to get thier visa.

juanchen

Aug 20, 2012
freeguy said:
I wanted to give a quick update on my status. I did not get my visa in the desired time frame (that is, before Aug 9th). I started sending out emails from Aug 1st to the consulate. I did not receive any responses until Aug 7th. They asked for the applicants name and DOB and after that I received the file number. The file number does not really help as there is no way of checking the status online with the file number. I then decided to go in person on the Aug 9th, the same day as the travel the evening of Aug 9th. I informed the consulate that I will be walking in person on the 9th and hoping to get a visa in hand. I did not get any response to the message. I still decided to go in person, and luckily I did get the visa the same day and we completed our travel as planned. I hope no one has to wait till the last moment to get thier visa.
Hi,
Did you go to the visa office to pick up your passport by yourself? Do they allow you to enter? What do you bring with you? Because I decide to go to the office tomorrow! Thank you very much for your reply.

freeguy

Jul 28, 2012
Yes, they gave me the passport when I walked into the consulate in LA. But BEWARE and do not expect this happen every time. LA policy is that if you walk in and submit your documents, they will give your passport back the next daY. If you submit on Thursday or Friday, they will give your passport back the next Monday. That is thier policy and they do not do any exceptions. For me, it kind of worked because I sent several messages indicating my date of travel and the urgency. Even if you submitted your documents long time back, and you walk in, you should expect the passport the next day, at the best.

Hope this helps.