+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Travel Document

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Hi guys , My question is If I apply for Canada Travel Document is immigration officers will bother me or delay my citizenship? while I'm having my citizenship interview with them because they always ask to show your passport and if I don't show my homeland passport what gonna happen? because while I'm applying Canada Travel Document I most hand over my passport to them,,,I came to Canada and I claimed refugee and got accepted after I got my PR I had my home-country passport back and I travel by my passport couples of time but never went back and my passport getting expire on November 2016

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
canadatraveldocument said:
Hi guys , My question is If I apply for Canada Travel Document is immigration officers will bother me or delay my citizenship? while I'm having my citizenship interview with them because they always ask to show your passport and if I don't show my homeland passport what gonna happen? because while I'm applying Canada Travel Document I most hand over my passport to them,,,I came to Canada and I claimed refugee and got accepted after I got my PR I had my home-country passport back and I travel by my passport couples of time but never went back and my passport getting expire on November 2016
you have to show your travel history while you apply for citizenship. and for that you have to show your passport whether it is from your home land or form Canada. Travel document is used for the same purpose. there is no way you can hide the passport and show your travel document instead while on citizenship interview. showing your passport is a must.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
I thought refugee can't even use their home country passport AT ALL before getting citizenship?

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
betteka said:
I thought refugee can't even use their home country passport AT ALL before getting citizenship?
They can, however travelling with their passport, even if not to their home country, will result, if IRCC becomes aware of it, in the termination of their status in Canada. Even if people manage to come back without getting on IRCC's radar, the use of the passport provide for the revocation of the refugee status, even years after it happened.

Most people do not realize that traveling with their passport is in the eyes of IRCC, asking for their home country to protect them if something happened while they are in the foreign country they go visit using their passport. If they consider that their home country is able to protect them while traveling then they do not meet the requirements set by Canada for you to be considered a refugee (as if your country can protect you outside of its borders it surely can protect you inside).

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
LuckyGirl88 said:
you have to show your travel history while you apply for citizenship. and for that you have to show your passport whether it is from your home land or form Canada. Travel document is used for the same purpose. there is no way you can hide the passport and show your travel document instead while on citizenship interview. showing your passport is a must.
thank u for reply i dont want hide anything from immigration but if i apply Travel document i have to give them my homeland passport which they taking away from me and they gonna give me CANDIAN TRAVEL DOCUMENT instead but immigration officer in citizenship interview still need to see your homeland passport beside your canada travel document, he or she will check it out all pages and stamps on your passport and travel document the whether you went back home or not but that time i wont have my homeland passport because as i said Canada travel agents will keep my homeland passport and giving me canada travel document,,,,,,,

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
Naheulbeuck said:
They can, however travelling with their passport, even if not to their home country, will result, if IRCC becomes aware of it, in the termination of their status in Canada. Even if people manage to come back without getting on IRCC's radar, the use of the passport provide for the revocation of the refugee status, even years after it happened.

Most people do not realize that traveling with their passport is in the eyes of IRCC, asking for their home country to protect them if something happened while they are in the foreign country they go visit using their passport. If they consider that their home country is able to protect them while traveling then they do not meet the requirements set by Canada for you to be considered a refugee (as if your country can protect you outside of its borders it surely can protect you inside).
So you mean that refugee shouldn't even be carrying their home country passport when traveling except their travel documents and their refugee acceptance letter?

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
betteka said:
So you mean that refugee shouldn't even be carrying their home country passport when traveling except their travel documents and their refugee acceptance letter?
No, I meant that refugees should not use their passport when traveling. Having a passport from your home country is not prohibited, but using it as your identification when you travel instead of a the refugee travel document is.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
Naheulbeuck said:
No, I meant that refugees should not use their passport when traveling. Having a passport from your home country is not prohibited, but using it as your identification when you travel instead of a the refugee travel document is.
Anyone has any experience travelling with Refugee Travel Documents? Will the border will ask of your home passport? I never done this before and if I don't need the home country passport, I'll definitely going to leave it at home at all times.

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
betteka said:
Anyone has any experience travelling with Refugee Travel Documents? Will the border will ask of your home passport? I never done this before and if I don't need the home country passport, I'll definitely going to leave it at home at all times.
you may find your answer
canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/experiences-of-people-travelling-abroad-with-the-refugee-travel-document-t121792.0.html

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
you may find your answer
canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/experiences-of-people-travelling-abroad-with-the-refugee-travel-document-t121792.0.html
That has been 4 years ago, I'm sure there's a lot changes in the rules now.

Any recent experience traveling with Refugee Travel Documents? Do we need to bring our passport? Will the border asked for it?

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
betteka said:

Any recent experience traveling with Refugee Travel Documents? Do we need to bring our passport? Will the border asked for it?
friend of mine before he got his citizenship this year ,last year he went to Turkey by canadian travel document, he got his Turkish Vsa Online but when he got there at Airport they didnt let him in they told him you have to go back and get Visa in Turkish consular. because this is not ordinary passport to get visa online, so he went to Germany Frankfort in turkish consular but still they did not give him visa and told him he should go back to Canada and apply there in turkish embassy or consular,any way he came back here he went to Toronto in turkish consular and give it to him,his mom was sick in turkey so he went back there,anyway where ever you go by travel document first contact that country consular or embassy,.and my friend said after he got his Canadain passport this year he went to USA when he back to canada ,immigration officer told him you have Red flag on your name so call authority they goona remove it for you, so if you travel by Travel document you will get Red flag so for any immigration officer when they check your passport to not forget ask you question about where you have been or where did you go and maybe more different question

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
betteka said:

Have a look here http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/refugee-travel-document-questions-and-answers-t397458.0.html

You do not need to take your passport. The Refugee Travel Document is to be used in place of your passport and border officers will understand that.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Have a look here http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/refugee-travel-document-questions-and-answers-t397458.0.html

You do not need to take your passport. The Refugee Travel Document is to be used in place of your passport and border officers will understand that.
Thanks! I appreciate it! :)

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
hey guys I need your help as soon as possible , which immigration document i should send with my application to get Canada Travel Document , i was asylum in Canada but i got my PR since 2014, so do you think i should send my PR card or other immigration documents????? thank you for help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hey guys I need your help as soon as possible , which immigration document i should send with my application to get Canada Travel Document , i was asylum in Canada but i got my PR since 2014, so do you think i should send my PR card or other immigration documents????? thank you for help
Have you looked at the application?

3. Proof of Immigration Status in Canada (see Instructions, section I)

To establish your immigration status in Canada, provide one (1) of the following valid documents (original only):
- Permanent resident card
- Notice of decision issued by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
- Temporary resident permit
- Verification of status