+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada temporarily making distance learning eligible for Express Entry points

jabrillo

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Winnipeg MB
My niece studied in Canada for almost year. She studied online for six months and on campus for five months. With the latest update, how will she answer the question, Did [name] complete at least 50% of the study or training program's courses through in-person learning? Will she still say No?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
My niece studied in Canada for almost year. She studied online for six months and on campus for five months. With the latest update, how will she answer the question, Did [name] complete at least 50% of the study or training program's courses through in-person learning? Will she still say No?
Was his study permit application received by IRCC before studying online? in my opinion, completing 5 months out of 12month in person is over 50%, the answer is NO

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Hello all, regarding this new policy, do I need to have a study permit to be able to claim points for Canadian education?

The policy states:
(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/rounds-invitations.html)
"""
If you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate and completed any part of your program of study or training between March 2020 and August 2022, you’re now eligible for Canadian educational credential points even if you completed the program entirely

• through distance learning;
  • from outside Canada; or
  • through part-time studies.
Update your Express Entry profile to ensure you have the best possible chance to be invited to apply through Express Entry.
"""

It does not mention anything about study permits, so if I complete entirely online, outside Canada, and part-time without any study permit, I should still be able to claim Canadian educational credential points right?
The new questions on the express entry submission regarding this Canadian education also do not ask anything about the study permit.