+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada tax filing after softlanding

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
I did softlanding in Oct2021 and returned back to US.

My plan is to move canada after 1.5 yrs. I have a plan to sponsor my parents in future, for which I read like I need to produce previous yrs tax returns.

In 2021, i have no income in Canada, hardly stayed 8 days in Canada after softlanding.

So based on that scenario , do I need to file 2021 Tax in Canada for future purpose?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did softlanding in Oct2021 and returned back to US.

My plan is to move canada after 1.5 yrs. I have a plan to sponsor my parents in future, for which I read like I need to produce previous yrs tax returns.

In 2021, i have no income in Canada, hardly stayed 8 days in Canada after softlanding.

So based on that scenario , do I need to file 2021 Tax in Canada for future purpose?
Did you set up any accounts or have any other ties to Canada. If not, you’re not a tax resident so no need to file taxes. To sponsor a parent you’ll need to show that you’ve earned a certain amount of usually Canadian income for 3 years (1 year in Quebec). There are certain situations where international income while living in Canada can count towards LICO. There are never any guarantees of parent sponsorship. There is much more demand than supply of spots and processing is currently taking 20-24 months if selected. In reality many wait 5-10 years to get selected to sponsor their parents. There is also a lot of pressure to change the program the prioritize those who have been in Canada the longest. Just want to make sure you aren’t under the false impression that after 3 years in acanada you’ll be able to sponsor your parents.

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Did you set up any accounts or have any other ties to Canada. If not, you’re not a tax resident so no need to file taxes. To sponsor a parent you’ll need to show that you’ve earned a certain amount of usually Canadian income for 3 years (1 year in Quebec). There are certain situations where international income while living in Canada can count towards LICO. There are never any guarantees of parent sponsorship. There is much more demand than supply of spots and processing is currently taking 20-24 months if selected. In reality many wait 5-10 years to get selected to sponsor their parents. There is also a lot of pressure to change the program the prioritize those who have been in Canada the longest. Just want to make sure you aren’t under the false impression that after 3 years in acanada you’ll be able to sponsor your parents.
Yea, I know parental sponsorship will take longer, I just said that for example where previous years tax return might be needed like spousal sponsorship, child sponsorship, home mortgage etc etc , and that's why I am confused whether required to file 0 tax return or not.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yea, I know parental sponsorship will take longer, I just said that for example where previous years tax return might be needed like spousal sponsorship, child sponsorship, home mortgage etc etc , and that's why I am confused whether required to file 0 tax return or not.
No. They won't look at them even if you file the zero return for parental sponsorship..