+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canada student visa-previous US short term student visa

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Hello,

I currently study in Italy (but I have Turkish passport) and in September I will move to Amsterdam as an exchange student for 5 months, then I will either go back to Italy to complete my bachelors or I will go to the US (university of California more specifically) to do another exchange semester for 3 months or more and then after giving my final exams in Italy I will go back to Turkey. However, the problem is I have some classes from previous years and I need to give their exams with high grades and I also have to do an internship and write my thesis so doing a second exchange in the US would be a lot of work for me, it would put me under high pressure.

The main reason why I want to do the exchange semester in the US is because the UC has a very good reputation in the world and it might be beneficial for my future Canadian student visa application for my masters. So do you guys think it is worth risking my GPA and graduation time? (I might have to graduate 1 month later or so)

I wanted to ask you guys' opinion on this, do you think me doing an exchange semester in the US and then coming back to my home country would be a positive thing for the approval of the Canadian student visa? (I guess they would not really care about my travel history in Europe but afaik they share data with the US immigration)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I currently study in Italy (but I have Turkish passport) and in September I will move to Amsterdam as an exchange student for 5 months, then I will either go back to Italy to complete my bachelors or I will go to the US (university of California more specifically) to do another exchange semester for 3 months or more and then after giving my final exams in Italy I will go back to Turkey. However, the problem is I have some classes from previous years and I need to give their exams with high grades and I also have to do an internship and write my thesis so doing a second exchange in the US would be a lot of work for me, it would put me under high pressure.

The main reason why I want to do the exchange semester in the US is because the UC has a very good reputation in the world and it might be beneficial for my future Canadian student visa application for my masters. So do you guys think it is worth risking my GPA and graduation time? (I might have to graduate 1 month later or so)

I wanted to ask you guys' opinion on this, do you think me doing an exchange semester in the US and then coming back to my home country would be a positive thing for the approval of the Canadian student visa? (I guess they would not really care about my travel history in Europe but afaik they share data with the US immigration)
No issue. For study permit, you show ties and opportunities in Türkiye.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
No issue. For study permit, you show ties and opportunities in Türkiye.
do you mean it would show that I have ties & opportunities in turkey only if I participate in the exchange program in the US? would studying in the US for some time and then returning to my home country be beneficial in that aspect? because if it has no significant benefits in terms of obtaining the Canadian student visa then I dont think it would be a good choice for me to go to the US, as I said I need to do an internship in Italy and I have exams from previous years (plus it is my last year of bachelors so I have to give those exams before September 2024).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
do you mean it would show that I have ties & opportunities in turkey only if I participate in the exchange program in the US? would studying in the US for some time and then returning to my home country be beneficial in that aspect? because if it has no significant benefits in terms of obtaining the Canadian student visa then I dont think it would be a good choice for me to go to the US, as I said I need to do an internship in Italy and I have exams from previous years (plus it is my last year of bachelors so I have to give those exams before September 2024).
This has nothing to do with your current program in Italy or exchange in the US. Once you apply for a Canadian study permit, you show ties to Turkey.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
what kind of ties and opportunities I can show? my parents are divorced would that be a problem? also I study psychology so I need a masters degree to be able to work in my field in almost every country in the world including mine

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
what kind of ties and opportunities I can show? my parents are divorced would that be a problem? also I study psychology so I need a masters degree to be able to work in my field in almost every country in the world including mine
Parents are not a tie. Ties are properties, investments, career opportunities etc. You want to show that you will make more money with a masters when you return to justify costs. In Canada, you really need a Phd and experience to practice so show your job opportunities.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Parents are not a tie. Ties are properties, investments, career opportunities etc. You want to show that you will make more money with a masters when you return to justify costs. In Canada, you really need a Phd and experience to practice so show your job opportunities.
majority of the properties we own are under my mother's name since i'm only 20 and never worked yet, would it be better to get them under my name in this case? also my mom has a private company if it would be beneficial we can sign a form stating that I will work under her company when I return

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
majority of the properties we own are under my mother's name since i'm only 20 and never worked yet, would it be better to get them under my name in this case? also my mom has a private company if it would be beneficial we can sign a form stating that I will work under her company when I return
Transferring property must be documented and may raise red flags. So your field of study corresponds with your mother’s business. IRCC may say that you don’t need to study in Canada because you are part of a family business and will be hired with or without education. So no it doesn’t help.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Transferring property must be documented and may raise red flags. So your field of study corresponds with your mother’s business. IRCC may say that you don’t need to study in Canada because you are part of a family business and will be hired with or without education. So no it doesn’t help.
I was thinking about master programs in business psychology and consumer psychology/marketing so it would be connected to working at my mom's business. Yes although I can work with her without a masters, a degree related to corporate work would be beneficial when you think about it because you would learn so much things about business (and I have no education about business and it is not possible to do that in my country bc we dont have business psy. master programs) but idk how convincing that would be for the visa officer.

should I find a company that will indicate I will work at them after I return? or should I change my objectives and opt for a different career path, maybe in counseling since a masters degree is no doubt necessary unlike business psychology/marketing

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I was thinking about master programs in business psychology and consumer psychology/marketing so it would be connected to working at my mom's business. Yes although I can work with her without a masters, a degree related to corporate work would be beneficial when you think about it because you would learn so much things about business (and I have no education about business and it is not possible to do that in my country bc we dont have business psy. master programs) but idk how convincing that would be for the visa officer.

should I find a company that will indicate I will work at them after I return? or should I change my objectives and opt for a different career path, maybe in counseling since a masters degree is no doubt necessary unlike business psychology/marketing
No one on the forum can tell you what career path to take. Again, you don’t need to study in Canada if working for your mother. You can learn hands-on from her. So you say you don’t need a Masters to work for her but a degree which you are taking in Italy right now.

If you have no work experience with a company, then saying you will have a guaranteed job is very unlikely. Don’t make up ties.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
No one on the forum can tell you what career path to take. Again, you don’t need to study in Canada if working for your mother. You can learn hands-on from her. So you say you don’t need a Masters to work for her but a degree which you are taking in Italy right now.

If you have no work experience with a company, then saying you will have a guaranteed job is very unlikely. Don’t make up ties.
Well I only asked for a recommendation since you said ties are very important. I can still find a company that can write a letter for me because my family has connections but most of the times its the people who are already employed in their home country that do this and it might be worse if they dont believe the letter

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020

If I want to take over the company then I need education, I can only work beside her and do limited type of work without education

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If I want to take over the company then I need education, I can only work beside her and do limited type of work without education
Ok. So outline a succession plan with timelines for you to take over your mother’s company based on your education, experience and hands-on training with your mother.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
do you think it would be necessary to do this? would it be highly beneficial? because what if they think I'm making this up and my course of choice isn't well suited for it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
do you think it would be necessary to do this? would it be highly beneficial? because what if they think I'm making this up and my course of choice isn't well suited for it?
That is for you and your mom to decide. A succession plan shows what happens when your mother is not longer going to run her company. Having a Canadian education doesn’t mean anything as you can still be named the successor without any education or experience because you are family. Don’t make up ties just to do so.