+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada - Residency obligation for PR Holder

LadyPaix

Nov 30, 2019
Are you in Canada at the moment? The best approach would be to wait until you have 730 days in Canada in the 5 years prior to applying for PR card renewal. You can remain in Canada without a valid PR card. It's only really needed if you need to travel.
Thanks for sharing this!

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
ok, I am not in Canada at the moment, I am planning to go back in two weeks but then in June I need to come back for a couple of weeks to my home country. I am trying to calculate the total amount of days I would have spent in Canada if I renew my PR Card in November, so all this info you just provided helps me a lot! Thank you so much!!! :D
Would definitely recommend you wait until 730 days are completed, unless you have an urgent need to travel.

If you have 490 days now, you are missing 240 days. 240 days from now is Nov 29th, 2024. So you are not far off from when your PR card expires, even if you only get to Canada in 2 weeks and then leave for another two weeks. This assumes that none of the days earned will fall out of the rolling 5 year window, of course.

I think this is a much better approach than relying on credit for traveling with your citizen spouse. Apart from the risks involved of not getting the days outside of Canada credited, as pointed out by @Ponga, almost certainly it would lead to longer processing times as opposed to a "standard" application.

On a side note: when were you last in Canada, and when did you land? It seems likely to me that you are already in breach of the residency obligation, so be aware that every time you return to Canada, you could be reported for not meeting your RO, which could lead to loss of status. If you can, return to Canada at the earliest opportunity and stay here until you meet the residency obligation.

LadyPaix

Nov 30, 2019
Would definitely recommend you wait until 730 days are completed, unless you have an urgent need to travel.

If you have 490 days now, you are missing 240 days. 240 days from now is Nov 29th, 2024. So you are not far off from when your PR card expires, even if you only get to Canada in 2 weeks and then leave for another two weeks. This assumes that none of the days earned will fall out of the rolling 5 year window, of course.

I think this is a much better approach than relying on credit for traveling with your citizen spouse. Apart from the risks involved of not getting the days outside of Canada credited, as pointed out by @Ponga, almost certainly it would lead to longer processing times as opposed to a "standard" application.

On a side note: when were you last in Canada, and when did you land? It seems likely to me that you are already in breach of the residency obligation, so be aware that every time you return to Canada, you could be reported for not meeting your RO, which could lead to loss of status. If you can, return to Canada at the earliest opportunity and stay here until you meet the residency obligation.
Oh, thanks for pointing this out... I think I am not calculating my time in Canada correctly. I landed in Canada in October, 2013 and I lived there with my Canadian husband with no gaps until December, 2020, as we only left on holidays a couple of times throughout that period of time. Then from January, 2021 until May, 2023 I had to stay abroad looking after my parents during the pandemic. I came back to Canada in May last year and stay there until July, as my Dad passed away and haven't been able to come back. This is going to be my second PR card renewal. I was actually thinking about renewing my PR card as soon as I come back this April so that the time I spent in Canada for 2019, 2020 and the little bit of 2023 would be considered for the RO. That would give me an approximate of 640 days in Canada in the last 5 years. But judging by most comments here, that's not advisable? If I send my PR renewal application for example, in June, 2024 they would start calculating my RO from June, 2019, right? ‍

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Oh, thanks for pointing this out... I think I am not calculating my time in Canada correctly. I landed in Canada in October, 2013 and I lived there with my Canadian husband with no gaps until December, 2020, as we only left on holidays a couple of times throughout that period of time. Then from January, 2021 until May, 2023 I had to stay abroad looking after my parents during the pandemic. I came back to Canada in May last year and stay there until July, as my Dad passed away and haven't been able to come back. This is going to be my second PR card renewal. I was actually thinking about renewing my PR card as soon as I come back this April so that the time I spent in Canada for 2019, 2020 and the little bit of 2023 would be considered for the RO. That would give me an approximate of 640 days in Canada in the last 5 years. But judging by most comments here, that's not advisable? If I send my PR renewal application for example, in June, 2024 they would start calculating my RO from June, 2019, right? ‍
The rule is pretty simple: on the date you apply, you must have been present in Canada for 730 days or more in the five years prior. 640 is not enough. So you need to calculate when you will have accumulated 730 days in Canada, remembering not to count any days outside the 5 year window.

For example, if you want to apply on November 24th, 2024, you need to look back to November 24th, 2019 and count your days in Canada. Any days before that date don't count. If you don't have 730 days by then, you need to wait until you do.