+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Relocation Allowance Tax and Availing

sk179

Feb 26, 2017
Hi,
I have recently landed a job in toronto, and my employer being generous has provided me with a $10,000 relocation tax free allowance, for which i should be submitting receipts.
I am moving from India to Toronto.
Now, I am not sure what all is included in this as from employer pespective everything that can be claimed under canada tax free allowance is fine.
On searching various sites, i came to know only 15 days of moving expenses and bills can be submitted.

Overall, this does not necessarily lead me to make full use of $10K.

Anyone in this situation before? Apart from air tickets and a hotel stay, has anyone managed to know what else can be included?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi,
I have recently landed a job in toronto, and my employer being generous has provided me with a $10,000 relocation tax free allowance, for which i should be submitting receipts.
I am moving from India to Toronto.
Now, I am not sure what all is included in this as from employer pespective everything that can be claimed under canada tax free allowance is fine.
On searching various sites, i came to know only 15 days of moving expenses and bills can be submitted.

Overall, this does not necessarily lead me to make full use of $10K.

Anyone in this situation before? Apart from air tickets and a hotel stay, has anyone managed to know what else can be included?
This link may help
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/benefits-allowances/provided/moving-expenses-relocation-benefits/moving-expenses-paid-employer-that-a-taxable-benefit.html

I remember I had claimed 3 months of rent, drivers license fee, rental car charges, mover and packers door 2 door cost (including shipping the container)