+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada PR Renewal from outside Canada (U.S)

plv

May 15, 2024
Hi All,

I live in Canada with my wife and daughter. All three of us are Canadian PRs and we have been in Canada for last 2+ years. Recently my company has closed their offices in toronto and have asked employees to move to US in next 6 months. I am worried what will happen to my PR if i move to US for 3 to 4 years.

Is there a way, i can submit by PR renewal application , say after 2 years, from U.S ? PR Application form is asking for current residential address and current mailing address. But they have mentioned it should be the address where you live and they will not send the PR card to any family member or representative.

In consent and declaration, there is a option to declare that you are currently outside canada and as long as you mention the right travel history under "Residency obligation" section, they are okay to submit the application. If they allow us to be outside canada while submitting the application, they should also allow us to send the PR card to a friend or relative's address or collect in person. please advise on how to handle this situation

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
You must be in Canada when you submit the PR card application. Applications while being abroad are not accepted.

You also must meet the residency obligation when you apply to renew your PR card, and moving to the US will (potentially / likely) put that at risk. There is an exemption if you have been asked to work overseas on a temporary assignment, but it's uncertain from the information you have provided if your situation would qualify. In any case, it's a difficult subject and you should probably get legal advice before you rely on this exemption.

You say you have been in Canada for 2+ years, so chances are you could qualify for citizenship soon. Perhaps you can negotiate with your company to work remotely and/or travel back and forth until you have obtained citizenship.

Reactions: plv

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I live in Canada with my wife and daughter. All three of us are Canadian PRs and we have been in Canada for last 2+ years. Recently my company has closed their offices in toronto and have asked employees to move to US in next 6 months. I am worried what will happen to my PR if i move to US for 3 to 4 years.
Your PR status would likley be revoked for non-compliance in meeting the Residency Obligation. Assuming that your wife and daughter would be moving with you, there's would be at risk as well.

Is there a way, i can submit by PR renewal application , say after 2 years, from U.S ? PR Application form is asking for current residential address and current mailing address. But they have mentioned it should be the address where you live and they will not send the PR card to any family member or representative.
Answered in previous post by Besram

In consent and declaration, there is a option to declare that you are currently outside canada and as long as you mention the right travel history under "Residency obligation" section, they are okay to submit the application. If they allow us to be outside canada while submitting the application, they should also allow us to send the PR card to a friend or relative's address or collect in person. please advise on how to handle this situation
Really? This would be something newly added, since PR Card renewals always required the PR to submit from Canada.
Perhaps that only applies if you are submitting a PRTD application, NOT a PR Card renewal application. They share the same form, unless that has changed.